Ethiopia - Head of Programme
COOPI is looking for a Head of Programme in Ethiopia
COOPI started its operations in Ethiopia in 1995. In 2020, COOPI is implementing 15 projects in the sectors of WASH, Food Security, Emergency Response and Energy in the 3 regions of Oromia, Afar and Somali.
We promote access to safe water and efficient irrigation; hygiene and sanitation for rural populations working in communities, schools and health centers. We are also responding to emergencies including forced displacements, floods and recently desert locusts.
Our organisation promotes agriculture, livestock and sustainable employment. COOPI sustain the coffee value chain and increase long lasting youths employment.
Since 2017, our NGO is working in the energy sector promoting the use of efficient cooking stoves, solar and renewable energies.
This position is subject to donor's approval.
We encourage international staff already in the country to apply.
Purpose of the role
The Head of Programme (HoP):
- is the focal point for COOPI programs in Ethiopia;
- will report to the Head of Mission and work closely with the Head of Operations, Country Administrator and Program Advisors;
- will be leading the program support team (MEAL Supervisor and Program Coordinator).
Working together with three international Program Advisors, he/she will be responsible for:
Project Development (40%)
- Lead the definition and implementation of the country program strategy, with the support of the HoM and Program Advisors;
- Lead the development of new project proposals (current donors include ECHO, EU, AICS, OCHA-EHF and various UN Agencies);
- Review priorities and evidence from ongoing and closed grants;
- Use M&E data, innovations and evidence collected from on-going and past projects, for preparing new project ideas and concepts;
- Ensure linkages and learning among technical advisors, Program Coordinator and Project Managers.
External coordination (30%)
- Meet regularly with donors and partners, consolidating the position of COOPI in the country;
- Engage new potential donors and partners, working closely with the HoM and program advisors;
- Manage donors visits, liaising with the HoM and PMs.
Project Reporting (20%)
- Ensure a final review of all project narrative reports (interim, quarterly and final).
Project Planning (10%)
- Support review and approve the M&E plans for all projects, according to log frames and indicators;
- Support and participate the internal project grant opening meetings;
- Support the program advisors and PMs to approve project activities workplan.
- Post graduate degree in Livelihood, Humanitarian/Development Studies or any related field;
- A minimum of 5 years of work experience in project formulation, implementation and coordination with an International NGOs;
- Experience in working with different Donors (ECHO, EU, USAID, UN agencies);
- Good knowledge of humanitarian standard and background;
- Excellent report and proposal writing skills in English;
- Advanced IT skills.
- Proactive aptitude in terms of planning and coordination with different bodies, institutions and reference points;
- Target oriented and problem-solving aptitude;
- Strong managerial skills;
- Good leadership skills, aimed at managing and motivating a team;
- Positive ability to bear stressful and complicated situations;
- Diplomatic and confidentiality skills.
- Knowledge of GIS;
- Previous experience in the Region;
- Previous experience in livelihood sector.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received.