Ethiopia Country Lead (Consultant)
The Organization You Want to Work For
Development Gateway (DG) is an international nonprofit organization that creates innovative information management and data visualization technology, implements data-focused programs, and conducts research and evaluation to further sustainable development: www.developmentgateway.org
Our core focus areas are Resource Management (open contracting and procurement, aid management, and extractives); Effective Service Delivery (agriculture, health, data management systems, monitoring/evaluation/learning); and Data Strategy & Policy (including results data, data standards, and open data advocacy).
DG is implementing a three-year program funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The program - Tobacco Control Data Initiative (TCDI) - will be implemented in up to eight African countries, including in Ethiopia. The purpose of the program is to understand the respective countries’ tobacco data needs, identify existing data, confirm gaps in available tobacco data, collect new data to fill those gaps, and develop tools to enable policy makers to use essential data to inform policy. Although this program is focused on tobacco control, you do not need to be an expert on the subject, though experience is preferred.
We are a creative and dynamic group of people based around the globe. We value hard work, innovative thinking, a commitment to teamwork, and a good sense of humor. This position is based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, although remote working arrangements are allowed and encouraged during the COVID pandemic. The role is expected to be approximately 50% of full-time, for an initial period of one year, with an anticipated option to extend one to two years.
The Elevator Pitch
The Ethiopia Country Lead (Consultant) is responsible for managing client relationships and overseeing progress on the Tobacco Control Data Initiative project. In this role, you will manage local partners, support product innovation, and support assessments of systems and user needs. A wide degree of creativity, latitude, and responsibility is expected.
The Work You Get To Do
● Works closely with the remote Ethiopia Project Manager, maintains an understanding of all big-picture items for Ethiopia implementation, and helps to ensure successful and timely implementation in the country.
● Builds relationships with key stakeholders – national and subnational government ministries, CSOs, and/or private sector partners – to successfully enable data sharing and data use. Works to ensure project buy-in, especially through necessary in-country logistics and in-person meetings, and/or virtual meetings as conditions permit
● Conducts in-country assessment planning, execution, and analysis.
● Provides assistance to the Data Manager in locating or generating data.
● Uses data analysis and data visualization skills as needed to communicate ideas as needed.
● In conjunction with the Ethiopia Project Manager, writes reports, prepares and conducts presentations, etc.
● Conducts country research and data analysis as needed.
The Education and Experience You Have and We Need
● Master’s degree preferred, Bachelor’s required. Candidates from all academic majors are encouraged to apply.
● 5+ years’ experience in project implementation, technology development, or data for international development. Experience working with governments and NGOs preferred.
● Ability to live and work legally in Ethiopia is required.
● Fluency in English and Amharic is required.
● Proven track record of managing client relations in a global environment.
● Data analysis experience is a plus. Experience working with data for health, particularly non-communicable diseases, is a big plus.
Gourmet chefs welcome, but more importantly:
● You have effective project implementation and presentation skills. You enjoy getting things done while keeping your clients happy and building relationships.
● You have strong problem-solving skills and are known for your commitment to continuous product and process improvement.
● You have excellent written and verbal communication and customer interaction skills.
● You have a solid ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams in a fast-paced, creative environment. Entrepreneurial attitude and skills are important.
● You have an interest in working for a non-profit organization that synthesizes policy and technology.
● You're comfortable working with data using spreadsheets, simple databases, and data analysis.
● You can communicate easily with both technical and non-technical staff and maintain good communication with our geographically dispersed team.
● You are able to translate in conversations if needed - from English to Amharic or from Amharic to English.
● You use strong organizational skills to handle a broad and unpredictable workload, meet deadlines and work under your own initiative.
The initial term of this consultancy will be one year, with a projected annual time commitment of approximately 50% of full time. An option to extend for an additional one to two years is expected.
The projected pay range for this position is between $25 and $30/hour.
How to apply:
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Please mention “Ethiopia Country Lead” in the subject line. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.