Job Title: Water Technician
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Bambasi, Ethiopia
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian agencies in the world, providing relief, rehabilitation, and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of oppression and violent conflict. IRC works to address both the immediate, life-saving needs of conflict affected people in an emergency and the reconstruction needs in post conflict societies. IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and thorough accountability to those we serve.
Summary Statement of the job and responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of Environmental Health Officer, the Water Technician Officer will be responsible for overall facilitation and monitoring of water supply system, installation of water supply system electromechanical parts, pipe lines, regular application of water quality testing with chemicals, ensuring proper operation & regular maintenance of the water supply system including, surface water treatment, dewatering pumps, installation of water collection points in the transit center, submersible pumps, hand pumps where appropriate and all accessories related with the operation of water supply system and generator sets installed towards supply of safe water to the camp population.
Detailed Responsibilities and Tasks
- Serve as main technical focal point for activities related to troubleshooting, operation and maintenance of electro-mechanical parts (pumps, generators, control systems, etc---) of water supply systems of Adimazine transit center and nearby other centers/refugee camps optionally.
- Identify gaps & plan for onsite training to build the capacity of guards/operators, water attendants in the working in the transit center in consultation with the EH officer
- Ensures that all generator sets, valves and fittings at distribution systems, application of water treatment and quality test chemicals, tap stands, water storage tanks have enough back up easily moving parts.
- Prepare detail specification including item description, part # and quantity of spare parts necessary to fix identified problems on electro-mechanical parts (pumps, generator set, dewatering pumps, water treatment kits, control panels, etc) of the water supply schemes.
- Identify & ensure the procurement of minor tools required towards operation & maintenance of the systems including, spare parts, generator sets, control panel for pumps.
- Prepare & put in place monitoring plan for the operation & servicing of the generator set and pumps and other accessories in the transit center; including the man power working under the water system operation.
- Keep records of fuel consumption, generator working hours and electro-mechanical equipment performance indicators during the operation and maintenance phase and report to the Senior EH Manager/Officers.
- Represent and coordinate with other agencies, local government, donors and other partners to promote deliver of standard methodology humanitarian assistance;
- Provide the necessary technical support to WMCs, water guard operators, refugee incentive workers and technicians in operation and maintenance of their water supply schemes facilities.
- Prepare weekly & monthly progress reports and keep the supervisor informed of the maintenance and/or installation of electro-mechanical parts.
- Facilitate and coordinate in documenting program related documents keep records on activities of water operation in soft copy and hard copy.
- Install generators and pumps,
- Monitor regular water quality for turbidity and free chlorine residual
- Perform other tasks as requested by supervisor.
- Directly supervise team of EH (operation/maintenance team; generator operators, plumber, chlorinator, water system care takers and water tap attendants) for refugee intervention in specified camps transit center as needed.
- Prepare performance targets jointly with supervisee and evaluate their performance bi-annually.
- Diploma/10+3 TVET certificate in Electricity or Auto mechanics and 6 years of relevant proven experience.
- First degree in Electro-mechanical engineering with 3 years proven experience on operation /maintenance of generator, water system accessories & pump parts.
- Knowledge and experience of operation of motorized water supply schemes.
- Have demonstrated experience on the generators and submersible pumps problem detection and servicing.
- Have strong communication and coordination capacity within the staff.
- NGOs experience is a plus.
Additional Skills Required
- Basic supervisory/managerial skill.
- Technical report writing skill.
- Figurative data spreadsheet analytical skill.
- Computer literate.
- Proficient in spoken and written English.
- Good communication and interpersonal skill.
See Job Detail or Apply