Water Technician Officer
Job Title: Water Technician Officer
Sector: Emergency Response
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Oromia, Ethiopia
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. IRC has been working in Ethiopia since 1999 and is implementing integrated, community-managed programs aimed at improving the quality of lives and recover of livelihood of disaster-affected population’s through promoting individual participation, strengthening institutions and emergency response.
Water Technician Officer will be responsible for installation and inspection of water lines, electromechanical equipment and parts, ensuring functioning of equipment, maintenance of supply system including submersible pumps, surface pumps, generators, switch boards, welding machines, pipeline installation and maintenance towards the supply of safe and adequate water at project implementation areas. This position will be based at Adama with frequent travel field sites and directly reports to Emergency Rapid Response Manager.
- Serve as main technical focal person for the activities related to troubleshooting, operation, and servicing of pumps, generators, control systems, etc. of water supply systems.
- Ensures that all generators, pumps, fittings at production and distribution systems, tap stands, water storage tanks have enough back up easily moving parts.
- Prepare detail specification including item description, part # and quantity of spare parts necessary to fix identified problems on electro-mechanical parts (pumps, generator set, control panels, etc).
- Identify needs and ensure the procurement of tools and equipment required towards operation & maintenance of generators, pumps and control panel for pumps.
- In coordination with other teams prepare detail water sector physical & financial implementation plan which includes but not limited to activity plan, spending plan and procurement plan
- Keep records of fuel consumption, generator working hours and electromechanical equipment performance indicators during the operation and maintenance phase and report to the ERR Manager.
- Organize and deliver trainings on operation and maintenance of electro-mechanical parts to Water System Care takers and EH Assistants.
- Prepare weekly and monthly progress reports and keep the supervisor informed of the maintenance and installation of electro-mechanical parts.
- Install and inspect generators and pumps in the water supply systems before and during installation.
- Take additional duties assigned from ERR manager and accomplish as per the given guidance with in the framework of IRC project response mechanism.
Education: BSc Degree/Post Graduate Electromechanical, Electricity, Auto Mechanics, General Mechanics or related.
Work Experience: 3 years for BSc Degree or 2 years for MSc Degree holders. Experience working with NGO preferred.
Demonstrated skills and competencies:
- Experience working with NGO preferred.
- Excellent Experience in surface and submersible pump operation and maintenance.
- Familiarity with local context of the project implementation areas is an advantage.
- Ability to communicate in English, Amharic and Afaan Oromo language is advantageous.
- Computer literate in word and excel.
- Good writing and spoken skill in English
- Good interpersonal skill to work with a team
See Job Detail or Apply