Water Quality Officer - Re-posted
Job Title: Water Quality Officer - Re-posted
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Assosa, Ethiopia
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian agencies in the world, providing relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of oppression and violent conflict. IRC works to address both the immediate, life-saving needs of conflict affected people in an emergency and the reconstruction needs in post conflict societies. IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and thorough accountability to those we serve.
SCOPE OF WORK/ JOB PURPOSE:
The Water Quality Officer reports to the Senior Environmental Health Managers, and is responsible for establishment of water quality management system and practice as part of the upgrading the Assosa town water supply service provision, maintenance of the water supply facilities in Assosa General Hospital, Assosa Health Centre, and Selga Alu Health Centre under EU Trust Fund project.
Primary responsibilities include establishing water quality treatment and monitoring system, jointly overseeing the proper treatment of water, supervision and monitoring of regular water quality test activities; set up of water quality data management system (data collection, entry, analysis, reporting); conducting regular on job and theoretical trainings to build the staff capacity on water treatment and quality monitoring. The Water Quality Officer position also requires proper management of equipment, consumables and other resources under the program and reporting periodically to supervisors.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure proper treatment/disinfection of water before distribution.
- Establish clear and straightforward management systems including Jar tests, Chlorine dosage, Alum dosage, chemical preparation, etc.
- Coordinate regular water quality data monitoring system and conduct regular water quality test, jointly with the WSU WQ specialists, to different stages of treatment plant, tap stands, storage reservoir/s, household level, etc to ensure the community are supplied with safe water as per SPHERE/GOV and international standards.
- Develop necessary formats and a database water quality data collection, data entry, storage, analysis and report production.
- Raise purchase requests for procurement of equipment, reagents, treatment chemicals, and ensure the availability of all necessary items in stock for water quality test and operation.
- Ensure the cleaning of service reservoir, and clean water wells at regular, scheduled intervals.
- Prepare operation and training manuals for the water quality monitoring operation.
- Work with other Environmental Health team members and coordinate with other partners on information sharing related with water quality and promotion of proper water storage at household level.
- Summarize and produce weekly and monthly water quality report, with the status and action to be taken, and share the report to Supervisor.
- Participate and contribute for the establishment of water quality treatment center – in the construction of the laboratory, listing of equipment and furniture.
- Contribute an input in developing WASH project proposal in the portion of water quality.
- Participate in different WASH coordination meetings in representing IRC as needed.
- Serve as the focal person for water quality issues for EU Trust Fund project in Assosa and head of the water quality lab.
- Conduct annual regular training/refresher/ and on job trainings for Water Quality Experts of the WSU and health facilities including all water operation team, and water treatment operators & quality monitors, electromechanical technicians, and Sanitation & hygiene promotion team.
- Prepare notes, modules, and other related resources regarding the training component and share for the trainees.
- Coordinate the laboratories with necessary equipment, manuals for equipment, books, and other electronic reference materials.
- Post graduate degree or First degree graduates in Sanitary/Environmental Engineering, Environmental Health, Applied Chemistry, Applied Biology, or any other relevant field.
- Two years and Three years of relevant work experience respectively.
- Previous experience of managing/monitoring of town water supply particularly in surface water treatment and quality monitoring activities.
- NGO experience is a plus.
- Basic supervisory/managerial skills.
- Technical and report writing skills
- Computer literate.
- Proficient spoken and written English.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
See Job Detail or Apply