Training Need Assessment and Development of Disaster Risk Management Research and Training Strategy for National Disaster Risk Management Commission
The National Disaster Risk Management Commission (NDRMC), Government of Ethiopia in partnership with the Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC) is implementing a program on “Strengthening Institutional Capacity & Preparedness for Emergency Response in Ethiopia (SIPERE)” with funding support from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF).
The NDRMC has set-up a Study, Research, and Training Directorate within its institutional structure to provide overall guidance and serve as a research and training center for comprehensive disaster risk management in the country. The new Directorate will also serve as a focal point for knowledge sharing, south-south learning, and promote partnership and networking among DRM stakeholders.
This assignment specifically contributes to the newly established DRM Study, Research, and Training Directorate of NDRMC. The Program is looking for a team of consultants or a consulting firm (national or international) based in Ethiopia to work closely with NDRMC and line ministries for:
- Conducting Training Need Assessment (TNA) and institutional mapping related to DRM and Climate Change Adaptation (CCA) and recommendations of priority training courses, contents, and tools.
- Documentation of existing DRM & CCA related training and make available at the NDRMC’s DRM virtual platform.
- Development of DRM research and training strategy/roadmap for the new Directorate.
Period of Engagement: The assignment will be carried out in 2 months from July to August 2020.
Supervisor(s): Project Manager (Operations) based in, Ethiopia
Evaluator(s): Program Manager, NDRMC, PRR, based in Bangkok, Thailand.
Required Qualifications/ Selection Criteria:
- Team lead and team members to be a post-graduate in social science, disaster risk management, educational planning, and management, or relevant fields.
- Proven experiences on similar nature of work.
- Excellent articulation ability.
- Practical knowledge of Ethiopia and Horn of Africa regional and international disaster risk management, socioeconomic, polices, practices, research, and development context.
- Fluent in Amharic and English (oral and written skills) and able to write clearly and concisely.
- Proven experience in multi-hazard and multi-sectoral approaches to DRM research strategy analysis and development and training needs assessment on DRM and CCA and course design
- Proven Experience in Knowledge management; and human and institutional capacity building.
- In the case of a firm, be a national/international firm operating in Ethiopia with renewed license and fulfilled tax obligation of the law of the land.
Duties and Responsibilities:
In coordination with NDRMC and ADPC Ethiopia and Head Office, the consultant shall be responsible for the following:
1. Training Need Assessment and Institutional Mapping
Specific tasks, but not limited to:
1) Identification of DRR & CCA stakeholders with their respective roles at policy and planning, supervisory/middle, and operational levels.
2) Analysis of the institutional set up for DRM & CCA capacity building, roles & functions, stakeholders, and the required competency at national and sub-national levels.
3) Review and documentation of DRM capacity-building system and policies, training curriculum/content, tools, methodologies, target groups, and their efficacy.
4) Identification of the specific areas/ themes required by practitioners/ stakeholders and prepare a glossary of national and global training courses.
5) Identification of gaps in terms of knowledge, skills, and aptitude, and needs of key sectors on DRR and CCA.
6) Identification of priority training, contents, and tools that require to be developed for different target groups.
7) Mapping and review of available training and learning opportunities for DRM practitioners and sector departments within the country and outside and prioritize essential content for building competency of key stakeholders.
8) Identification and review of agencies, institutions, collaborations, and networks for developing contextualized DRR/CCA learning tools/modules.
9) Provision of recommendations on how to address the capacity gaps (human, financial, and others) that will inform the preparation of a Capacity Development Plan for DRR and CCA.
2. DRM Research and Training Strategy/Roadmap Development
Specific tasks, but not limited to:
1) Review of literature on the national, regional, and International levels relevant for the assignment.
2) Review the functioning of some of the leading national and international DRM research and resource centers to bring state of the art knowledge on the possible ways of capacity enhancement on DRM research and training in Ethiopia.
3) Design the framework for the strategy document along with the methodology for preparing the roadmap with clear milestones and stakeholders to be engaged multi-sectoral with at each stage.
4) Review the existing national policies, DRM-SPIF, Guideline for Mainstreaming Disaster Risks into the Development planning process, and future investment decision, and Woreda Disaster Risk Mitigation/Adaptation Planning Guideline, After Action Review and lesson, learned documents, etc, that may guide and influence the setting-up of DRM Study, Research and Training Directorate.
5) Review existing DRM research and training efforts in sector ministry and academic institutions to identify the gap.
6) Develop a draft DRM research and training strategy with a clear DRM research and training agenda.
7) Develop the Draft DRM research and training roadmap document for setting up the DRM research center for Ethiopia including but not limited to aim, vision, mission, objectives, legal identity, business model, the role of various stakeholders, action plan.
8) Finalize the DRM research and training strategy/roadmap through federal-level consultation for vetting the draft document.
How to apply:
Interested candidates, please submit technical and financial proposal accompanied by necessary documents including renewed business and professional licenses and the completed ADPC application form (downloadable from http://www.adpc.net), resume, copy of diploma(s) and certificate(s) together with a cover letter to email@example.com by 15 June 2020.