Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Officer
Job Title: Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Officer
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Tongo, Ethiopia
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian agencies in the world, providing relief, rehabilitation, and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of oppression and violent conflict. IRC works to address both the immediate, life-saving needs of conflict affected people in an emergency and the reconstruction needs in post conflict societies. IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and thorough accountability to those we serve.
Summary statement of roles and responsibilities:
Under the joint supervision of the Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (technically) and camp managers (administratively), position holder will be responsible in implementing the Hygiene and Sanitation activities of the EH project in project area. In collaboration with the Environmental Health team and the WASH partners working in the camp, the Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Officer is a junior management position and own the lead the budget assigned for sanitation and Hygiene promotion activities during planning, implementation, applying different tools and supervise and evaluate the sanitation and hygiene promotion activities in Gure Shembolla Refugee Camp and transit center (in case) in collaboration with social/incentive workers selected from refugees and EH officer working in that specific camp. He will be leading staffs including incentive workers and additional staffs as need arises.
Key Job Functions:
- Participate in different WASH project design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation process as per SPHERE/UNHCR standards.
- Handle selection, training, dealing, and being responsible for incentive staffs from target communities and provide vital support.
- Plan, Coordinate and Execute Participatory Hygiene and Sanitation Transformation & Children’s Hygiene and Sanitation Training refugees’ staffs, School children’s sanitation facility attendants and volunteers.
- Plan and implement project activities both hardware and software activities in discussion with technical support from Sanitation Hygiene Promotion Manager & Environmental Health Officer at the camp.
- Supervise Institutional latrine construction and accurate utilization of constructed facilities to build balance living conditions for clients.
- Facilitate and lead the grand sanitation campaigns both in schools and refugee communities.
- Initiate and prepare procurement plan to ensure timely provision of program supplies for public health promotional actions as per activity plan.
- Handle and check finance and logistics allocated for project operation period are accurately utilized for to meet strategic objectives.
- Prepare and facilitate Environmental Health Knowledge, Practice and Coverage (KPC) surveys and IPs and donors project evaluation in designing, preparing questioners, data collection, entry, analysis & reporting.
- Liaison with the local government and the community in project implementation and Cooperate with wereda health office other partners in preparation of action plan for conducting designed activities.
- Work with refugee leaders to identify volunteers/incentive workers for hygiene promotion/education.
- Partake in designing, production, and positioning appropriate IEC/BCC materials, in collaboration with Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Manager to promote the construction of sanitation facilities and the adoption of safe hygiene practices in the communities.
- Facilitate in listing health, sanitation and hygiene promotion related data’s and keep records on standards and achievements.
- Prepare weekly, monthly, and quarterly progress reports on SHP doings and report to supervisors.
- Serve as the focal person for all activities related to SHP in the intervention area and if looked-for in transit centers in Benishangul Gumez Regional State.
- Respect and act on guidelines set by organization for smooth Implementation of SHP activities jointly with other EH teams.
- Participate in other environmental health activities as assigned by the supervisor.
- University Degree in Public Health, Environmental Health, Nursing, Community Development, Education, or any other related field from recognized university with 3 years of proven experience with first degree or 2 years for post graduate degree holders.
- Have recognized background and knowledge in environmental health and proven work experience in crafting interactive and participatory approaches in refugee context.
- Knowledge and experience on safe excreta disposal, solid waste management and vector control activities.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and time leadership skills.
- Trained and have proven experience on CHC, CLTSH, PHAST & CHAST approaches.
- Experience in participatory approaches and community mobilization.
- Positive and professional demeanor, able to harmonize, maintain and prioritize work and able to work in an insecure environment.
- Proficiency in English and Amharic (oral and written).
- NGO experience is a plus.
- Basic supervisory/managerial skill.
- Technical and report writing skill.
- Computer literate.
- Proficiency in spoken and writing English.
- Good communication and interpersonal skill
See Job Detail or Apply