Hygiene Promotion Assistant
Requisition ID: req9168
Job Title: Hygiene Promotion Assistant
Sector: Emergency Response
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: Oromia, Ethiopia
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. IRC has been working in Ethiopia since 1999 and is implementing integrated, community-managed programs aimed at improving the quality of lives and recover of livelihood of disaster-affected population’s through promoting individual participation, strengthening institutions and emergency response.
Position: Hygiene Promotion Assistant (3 positions)
Job Location: based at Liban, Wadara & Goro Dola Woredas of East Guji Zone
Contract Duration: Until September 20, 2020 with possibility of extension
Job Summary: Hygiene Promotion Assistant is responsible to support the implementation of rapid emergency response of hygiene and sanitation promotion and water supply activities by using appropriate hygiene promotion approaches, with required standard and principles, and level of participation. The position holder is also responsible for beneficiary selection & verification, community mobilization, proper management resources under the project and reporting periodically to Emergency Rapid Response Officer.
- Conduct different hygiene & sanitation promotion and health educations on different community meetings by using different hygiene promotion approaches
- Ensure the proper dissemination of hygiene and sanitation messages to the community at grass root level.
- Organize community level hygiene awareness campaigns and prevention of transmitted disease.
- Organize training for community representatives on Hygiene and sanitation and transmitted disease.
- Assist the preparation of IEC Materials and monitor the distribution of IEC materials to be used at community level.
- Work on building of the capacity of woreda partners and HEWs on WASH emergency promotion, NFI distributions and other health educations.
- Ensure the proper distribution of Non Food Items and IEC Materials.
- Conduct regular post distribution monitoring and periodic post distribution survey of the NFI at house hold level.
- Produces activity progress reports as per the preset reporting schedule and submit to the supervisor.
- Prepare brief emergency related monthly updates and submit to the supervisor.
- Closely work with kebele HEWs and woreda water offices for basic emergency hygiene promotion activities
- Conduct different review meetings with woreda partners, HEWs and community representatives on progress of the hygiene promotion activities and beneficiary compliance and feedback management systems.
- Assists detail Hygiene and Sanitation need assessments.
- Works closely with Woreda Water and Health Offices towards efficient and effective implementation of the response and emergency hygiene promotion activities
- Works in collaboration with other IRC staff, government partners & key stakeholder.
- Takes additional works as assigned by supervisor.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: ERR Officer.
Other Internal and/or external contacts: This role will collaborate and interact regularly with:
Internal: ERR, Health, CWI, Supply Chain, Finance, HR/Admin.
External: INGOs/NGOs, Government partners, Clusters and Task Forces
Education: BSc Degree/Diploma in Environmental Health.
Work Experience: 1 year for BSc Degree and 3 years for Diploma holders. NGO experience is plus.
Skills and Competencies:
Hygiene promotion experience in local community and emergency context.
Experience of community mobilization and NFI distribution.
Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required.
Basic computer skill.
Language Skills: Good command spoken and written English, Amharic and Afaan Oromo.
See Job Detail or Apply