Finance & Admin Officer
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Provide NEX Advance/ Grant Management Support;
- Financial Management support;
- Integrated Programme implementation;
- Lead and coordinate administrative activities in Gambella.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide NEX Advance/Grant Management Support:
- Manage NEX Advances as per the UNDP’s POPPs and HACT guidelines;
- Evaluate grants calls for proposals for first level quality assurance and provide recommendations to the Programme Specialist;
- Verify the grants budget for the proposals against approved amounts;
- Ensure proper documentation and filing of Implementing Partner/ Responsible Party (RP) documents (forms, signed contracts, workplans, budgets, grants assessment reports, M&E frameworks, correspondences etc.);
- Undertake regular monitoring and evaluation spot checks as per HACT guidelines to ensure that all expenditure/payments by Implementing Partners is adequately documented and adheres to established guidelines;
- Guide/share knowledge and information with Implementing Partners on acceptable accounting principles and procedures;
- Track monthly expenditure statements from the Implementing Partners; act when expenditures seem to exceed approved budgeted amounts;
- Collect expenditure profiles for each of the Implementing Partners and only recommend further releases of disbursements based on adequate documentation and justification; Monitor and track disbursements/advances to Implementing Partners monthly;
- Produce a monthly summary spreadsheet per Implementing Partner on the financial status of the project for review by the CO;
- Guide Implementing Partners in preparing budgets which are compliant with UNDP’s financial rules and regulations;
- Ensure that Implementing Partners adhere to the UNDP’s standards of procurement;
- Provide financial information on Implementing Partners for audit purposes.
- Provide Financial Management Support:
- Support the programme in ensuring that project’s financial records and donor reports are up to date, accurate and signed off within the set UNDP corporate and donor deadlines;
- Prepare payment vouchers, record and post transactions in ATLAS including travel claims and requisitions on timely basis;
- Take timely corrective action on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers;
- Generate Quarterly and Annual financial reports for the UNDP CO review and assist in their analysis;
- Perform regular monitoring of the project delivery and track all expenditures for correctness and initiate corrective measures if any, before quarterly financial closures by UNDP HQ;
- Ensure adequate supporting documents for all payments as per the POPPs and maintain an organized, well documented and sequential filing system for finance records and documents;
- In liaison with the Project Manager, UNDP Operations Managers and PMU, assist in coordinating in provision of information and documents for project’s audits/ verifications as and when appropriate;
- As the custodian of the project’s assets, maintain assets registered to be signed off by the UNDP CO while ensuring that UNDP’s POPPs guidelines on assets is complied with including periodical verifications as required;
- Maintain an inventory of assets by RPs and facilitate transfers as appropriate and in compliance with UNDP’s policy on transfer of assets to RPs.
- Ensure Integrated Programme Implementation:
- Contributing to project work planning and reporting exercises, participating in the process to collect inputs from various teams (programme, operations, country offices) and consolidate them into a holistic plan;
- Identifying synergies and collaborative areas of work between the programme and operations teams, to maximize the project’s overall impact working together with the Project Manager;
- Collects and provides necessary data, statistics and information to support integrated work planning and reporting.
- Lead and coordinate administrative activities:
- Manage the logistical aspects in organization of workshops, conferences and whole office;
- Manage a global calendar of major events for the project in different areas of work while ensuring proper planning and logistical support for the same;
- Create and maintain a project-wide leave track plan and ensure it is always updated;
- Liaise with the Project Manager in the field to receive latest leave plans information while consolidating an Annual Leave Plan to be reviewed and approved by the UNDP CO before sharing with HR unit;
- Coordinate the provision of reliable and quality office supplies through maintaining sufficiently stocked stationary room with proper receiving and issuance records.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work Level 2: Execute & Learn (Perform defined tasks).
- Ability to persuade others to follow Level 2: Execute & Learn (Perform defined tasks).
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction Level 2: Execute & Learn (Perform defined tasks).
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform Level 2: Execute & Learn (Perform defined tasks).
- Ability to get things done Level 3: Apply & Adapt (Recognized contributor with demonstrated ability).
Building Partnerships - Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives;
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise – Fundamental knowledge of financial processes, rules and procedures
- Knowledge of accounting concepts and principles and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations;
- Broad knowledge related to financial resources management, including formulating budgets, maintaining Accounts Receivables, Accounts Payables and reporting;
- Knowledge of general procurement concepts and principles;
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a strategy aimed at improved performance and demonstrable results.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing - Basic research and analysis:
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing;
- Design and Implementation of Management Systems - Data gathering and implementation of management systems;
- Uses information/databases/other management systems;
- Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems.
Client Orientation- Maintains effective client relationships:
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Responds to client needs promptly;
- Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management - Gathering and disseminating information;
- Maintains databases.
Required Skills and Experience
- A University degree in accounting, finance or business administration or other related field would be an added advantage.
- 4 years of progressively responsible finance and accounting experience is required.
- Experience in project or programme management.
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS is required.
- Prior experience with donor funded projects would be an added advantage
- Fluent in English. Knowledge of the local language is an asset.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.)
- Advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft would be an added advantage.
See Job Detail or Apply