Emergency Rapid Response (ERR) Officer
Job Title: Emergency Rapid Response (ERR) Officer
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
IRC has been working in Ethiopia since 1999 and is implementing integrated, community-managed programs aimed at improving the quality of lives and recover of livelihood of disaster-affected population’s through promoting individual participation, strengthening institutions and emergency response.
The Emergency Rapid Response (ERR) Officer is responsible for implementation of emergency hygiene promotion, sanitation and capacity building activities in the field office. The position holder will also supervise emergency project activities, participate in assessments and project monitoring, proposal writing, managing budget, and organize ERR and WASH response activities.
Duty Station: Adama (with frequent field travel)
Contract Duration: Until September 20, 2020 with possibility of extension
- Conduct assessments, planning, organizing, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the community hygiene promotion projects.
- Plan, coordinate and monitor the provision and proper distribution of Non Food Items.
- Prepares detail physical & financial necessary procurements, implementation and Payment plans plan for emergency responses.
- Ensure the proper dissemination of hygiene and sanitation messages by preparing and drafting of IEC materials to be used at community level.
- Organize community level hygiene awareness campaigns and trainings on hygiene and sanitation and AWD control.
- Maintain strong working relationship with respective IRC staff and other partners. Coordinate and communicate with IRC staff on the ground, the water team and HP team.
- In collaboration with immediate supervisors and other IRC staff, manage the proper utilization of the allocated budget for the HP and EH activities under the project and liaise with IRC’s supply chain and finance for effective implementation of the intended activities as per log frame of the proposal
- Prepare a monthly progress report and weekly update and submit to the EHM/SERRO per the reporting time scheduled.
- Organize and ensure the documentation of every project activity, and capacity building activities both in hard and soft copies supported by pictures.
- Ensure that program Procurement, spending is in line with original plan and burn rate goes in line with the activity implementation progress.
- Ensure that project activities and spending are fully in compliance with the IRC and donor regulations
- Ensure that the Purchase requests are tracked timely for the follow up of burning rate and checking for accomplishment status of activities as per the plan
- Directly supervise and provide support to the Sanitation and Hygiene officers and the Hygiene promotion team who base at Woreda and Community Level
- Works closely with Zone/Woreda Disaster Offices towards efficient and effective implementation of the response
- Takes additional works as assigned by supervisor.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Senior Emergency Rapid Response (ERR) Officer
Position directly supervises: Woreda based IRC staffs
Other Internal and external contacts: Works in collaboration with IRC EH team, other program and operation staff. Also works closely with the Woreda and Zonal government and other NGO partners.
Education: BSc Degree/Post Graduate Degree in Public Health or Environmental Health.
Work Experience: 3 years for BSc Degree or 2 years for MSc Degree holders.
- 1 year supervisory experience and basic managerial skills.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Hygiene promotion experience/ERR with INGO /INGO in IDPs and local community settings.
- Technical and report writing skills
- Computer literate.
- Fluent spoken and written English.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good command of English, Afaan Oromo, and Amharic languages.
IRC is an equal employment opportunity employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation and Safety and Security Policy.
See Job Detail or Apply