Job Vacancy: Administrative Assistant
Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #091/2020
Sustainable Training and Education Program (STEP)
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH GIZ assists the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation. GIZ offers demand-driven, tailor-made and effective services for sustainable development worldwide. Our actions are guided by the principles of sustainability. We advocate for human rights, equal opportunities and integrity, and we promote market-oriented, ecological and social economic development.
The BMZ/ Germany funded, and GIZ/ German Cooperation implemented “Sustainable Training and Education Program” (STEP) is supporting the Ethiopian Government with its reforms in Higher Education and Technical Vocational Education and Training/ TVET.
Reform of post-secondary education, particularly in the technical sector, is a critical aspect for moving Ethiopia towards its development goals. STEP supports its partners in the Ethiopian government to change the higher educational and TVET sectors targeting on the improvement of graduates’ competences needed in the labor market. The Ethiopian partners are government offices on federal and regional levels as well as educational institutions.
To support the smooth implementation of various activities at its Hawassa Office and maintain close ties with Addis Ababa Office, STEP seeks to hire an Administrative Assistant to be stationed in Hawassa.
Required Candidate: One
Responsibilities and Duties
- Focal point for administration and finance related issues at the regional office in Hawassa, and liaison with Addis Ababa office for finance and administration related issues
- Arrange procurement activities in coordination with Office Manager and administration/finance team in Addis Ababa office
- Assist organizing events (trainings, workshops, etc…): solicit price quotations from hotels, facilitate catering and travel arrangements as well as other organisational and administrative issues for the implementation of programme activities in the region
- Handling financial management, such as cash withdrawals, keeping petty cash and the corresponding cashbook, preparing and entering vouchers, checks and travel expense statements of staff for approval by the superior in Addis Ababa
- Responsible to handle GIZ internal financial transaction management software related to the Hawassa regional office
- Processing settlement of applications for the reimbursement of travel expenses
- Submitting the end-of-month accounts from the project cash books and vouchers to the officer responsible
- Ensure availability of stationery and other office supplies for the implementation of the programme in Hawassa office
- Assisting with financial planning, monitoring, and accounting for the project in close coordination with the Finance Officer and Office Manager in Addis Ababa
- Filing documents in reference files in line with GIZ’s and project internal regulations
- Drafting letters for internal and external communications and distribution to partners following GIZ letter standards
- Coordinating effectively with team colleagues in Addis Ababa
- Any other tasks related to supporting the smooth operation of the programme
Required educational qualifications, professional experience and competency
- Minimum BA in business administration, accounting, auditing or similar area or comparable qualifications and skills
- Ability to work proactively and in a dependable, responsible manner with great attention to detail
- Minimum 3-5 years of professional experience in a relevant position
- Sound knowledge of public procurement
- Confidential handling of data and information
- Very good working knowledge of ICT (related software, phone, fax, e-mail, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office, Excel)
- Excellent communication, organisational, and human interaction skills
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Excellent language skills (writing, speaking, listening) in English and Amharic
- High degree of service orientation and willingness to perform an array of changing tasks in a flexible manner
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit a cover letter showing why and how you qualify for the job
Please submit a CV (not more than 2 pages) with all relevant information for the
Note: - Please make sure you mention the vacancy number and position title ‘Administrative Assistant #091/2020 in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categorise applications with the vacancy numbers. Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
Applications from qualified women are encouraged.
See Job Detail or Apply