Title: HRIS Advisor
Department: Ethiopia Country Office, A/A
Summary Scope of Work:
The Human Resource Information System (HRIS) Advisor will provide technical leadership in human resource health information systems for the Health Workforce Improvement Program. The HRIS Advisor will provide technical assistance at the national level to strengthen human resource information systems at MOH, health education and training management information systems at MOSHE, foster leadership and dissemination of HRIS standards and guidelines, build individual and organizational capacity using training and mentoring, and coordinate multi-sectoral collaboration and communication to implement National Health Workforce Accounts inclusive of payroll.
The position will operate under the leadership of the MEL Advisor and will oversee and ensure the technical and methodological soundness HRIS project activities. In collaboration with project team and partners, the position will support the design and implementation of HRIS strategies based on scientific evidence
- Position Reports To: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Advisor
- Positions Supervised: None
Responsibilities: All staff members of Jhpiego, regardless of the level of responsibilities are expected to
- model the mission and values stated above
- participate in the business development process
- contribute to the knowledge sharing and transfer process
- make responsible decisions that result in time and cost containment and clear accountability
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical oversight and definition of HRIS project activities
- Provide technical assistance to the MOH and MOSHE to coordinate implementation of the HRIS and ETMIS
- Provide technical support to Human Resource Development Directorate at Ministry of Health (MOH), Ministry of Science and Higher Education, relevant departments at Regional Health Bureaus (RHBs), health teaching institutions, in-service training centres, and other institutions on HRIS, education and training management information system (ETMIS), national health workforce account planning, design, development, testing, and implementation.
- Build capacity in quality collection, analysis, dissemination and use of HRIS at the national level for program planning and management
- Represent Jhpiego in a multisector, multi-stakeholder coordination working group for overview/ monitoring of the NHWA implementation and evaluation at different levels.
- Work collaboratively with electronic Health Information System (eHIS) program implementing partner to roll-out HRIS for generation of routine information on health workforce.
- Work with eHIS program to identify useful elements of BI Elevator for integration into the HRIS and ETMIS, and ensure HRIS has the functionality to disaggregate data by cadre, gender, geographical area and sector, and to present data in GIS.
- Ensure collaboration efforts between MOH, Ministries of Science and Higher Education, finance, and civil service to institutionalize HRIS and ETMIS; and advocate linkages between HRIS and payroll.
- Identify issues/challenges and develop strategies for effective implementation of HRIS and ETMIS; and make sure the HRIS generates timely National Health Workforce accounts (NHWA) data.
- Support the MOH to effectively integrate existing HRIS data (including for PSE, IST CPD, and regulation) using business intelligence tools such as BI Elevator.
- Work with HWIP regional HRM advisors, education and capacity building advisors and M&E officers to strengthen HRIS and ETMIS implementation in RHBs and education institutions, respectively.
- Support MOH/MOSHE in the development of dissemination plan, scientific publication, abstracts and other communication materials using NHWA data to raise awareness on HRH issues through CLA dashboards, and RHB hub-and-spoke Community of Practices.
- Develop and/or update evidence-based training materials, standards, job aids, supervisory systems needed for implementation of the HRIS
- Build capacity of Human Resources Managers at MOH, MOSHE, RHBs and relevant institutions through regular onsite mentorship/training on HRIS/ETMIS implementation, and HRIS/ETMIS data analysis, data visualization and use for decision making. Develop the quality control systems and mechanisms needed to guarantee accurate management of HRIS data/NHWA.
- Coordinate implementation of HRIS through regular field supervision visits and tracking of Key NHWA Indicators for health workforce management, planning and monitoring.
- Document successes, lessons learned and challenges in implementation as well as reports of project activities and results to the project and donor, including routine quarterly and annual reports and other reporting requirements as requested
- Document and maintain an inventory of successful tools and approaches for HRIS
- Author/co-author abstracts, presentations, and articles for journals and conferences
- Perform other tasks as required.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Proven skills in software programming/e.g. REDCap, CommCare applications, DHIS2/ and data analysis of using STATA and other statistical applications such as SPSS,
- Ability to work in a flexible manner under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a collaborative manner
- Strong problem-solving, critical thinking and analytical skills
- Strong communication skills, report writing and spoken well in English
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform;
- Strong capacity in utilization of technology platforms;
- Effective communication in English and Amharic (written and oral) with strong presentation and writing skills;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with national and international staff and partners, and flexible;
- Computer Literacy (Word, Excel and power point);
- Ability to travel up to 40% of the time.
- Advanced degree in Health Informatics, Human Resources Management or related field with proven experience in Human Resources for Health Information Systems (HRIS).
- At least 6 years of experience in developing software/electronic information system related to HRIS.
- Demonstrated experience in data dashboard/visualization designing, implementing and/or capacity building in HRIS.
- Experience in systems analysis, and/or requirements development for national HRIS/ health information systems is preferred
- Experience working HRIS/ health information system effectively with government counterparts particularly at national and regional levels
How to Apply
Applicant are expected to STRICTLY follow the below listed application procedures:
- Only qualified and interested applicants can submit application letter and well written curriculum vitae saved in one complied PDF format.
- Applicants are required to state their current basic salary in their application letter.
- Applicants must make sure their application document is saved by their full name.
- CREDENTIALS OR WORK CERTIFICATES MUST NOT BE SUBMITTED.
- The job position being applied for must be explicitly stated in the application letter.
- Applicants must use this E-mail HREthiopia@jhpiego.org to submit applications and make sure to state the job position title applying for in the subject line.
- Applications not fulfilling the requirements stated above will automatically be rejected.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package. The winning candidate is expected to start within short period after finalization of the recruitment process.
The deadline for applications is May 27, 2020.
See Job Detail or Apply