Food security specialist | Ethiopia | 2020
Chemonics seeks a food security specialist based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, for the USAID Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET). The food security specialist will assist the country representative to provide technical and administrative leadership, including supporting the collection of and directly collecting information relevant for acute food insecurity analysis and associated early warning and decision support, as well as support the analysis. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
FEWS NET provides timely, accurate, evidence-based, and transparent food security early warning information and analysis. Its work is implemented across several pillars by a team of partners. Chemonics implements FEWS NET’s integrated emergency food insecurity analysis through a Washington, D.C.-based technical office and more than 20 field offices.
- Bachelor’s degree required in a discipline relevant to the work of FEWS NET, such as agricultural economics, agronomy, nutrition, climatology, anthropology, or social geography; master’s degree desirable; significant, directly related professional experience can substitute for education
- Minimum two years of relevant experience in food security information systems, food security analysis, early warning, or other related fields; experience working with United Nations agencies or NGOs desirable
- Good leadership and ability to work independently, when necessary; strong organization skills and strong ability to work in a multidisciplinary team of various nationalities
- Strong analytical and report-writing skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to interact positively with various food security stakeholders and to work and coordinate effectively with remote colleagues
- Ability to effectively liaise with government, NGOs, and other relevant stakeholders
- Excellent computer skills (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint); GIS applications and mapping skills desirable
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Proficiency writing and speaking English required; local language skills desirable
How to apply:
The Ethiopia food security specialist position will remain open for applications through May 18, 2020. Full details of the position and application information can be found at www.fews.net/vacancies.
The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the EU, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.