Emergency Health Officer
Job Title: Emergency Health Officer
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Jinka, Ethiopia
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. IRC has been working in Ethiopia since 1999 and is implementing integrated, community-managed programs aimed at improving the quality of lives and recover of livelihood of disaster-affected population’s through promoting individual participation, strengthening institutions and emergency response. Currently, IRC is operating in the Oromia, Benishangul, Tigray, SNNPR and Somali regions on Emergency Response, refugee’s assistance and livelihood projects.
Emergency Health Officer is responsible for proper implementation of Emergency Health and Nutrition project at woreda level and will monitor targeted health facilities at the project sites. She/he will work closely with woreda health office to enhance their participation and involvement in prevention, awareness creation and capacity building of woreda based government health staffs.
This position will be based at one of the project site at East or West Wollega and will directly report to the Senior Health Nutrition Officer and will manage & supervise Emergency Health Assistant under her/him.
* Take the leading role in cholera case management at the CTC.
* Ensure the management of cholera cases as per the national guideline and make sure the admission and discharge of cholera case is based on the cholera management guideline.
* Organize, supervise and mentor the CTC and ensure the proper management of supplies.
* Conduct all activities planned under the project in a timely manner and in accordance with the budget allocated.
* Monitor and Implement the project activities as per the plan and provide project data for timely decision making.
* Support the MHNT in mobilization of communities and ensure that MHNT intervention is in accordance with IRC and government guidelines.
* Identify and involve all key stakeholders in the woreda on a regular basis and support woreda health office in strengthening surveillance system at facility and community level.
* Represent IRC and participate in woreda level meetings and participate in health assessments in assigned woreda when needed.
* Provide support in developing and implementation of a community based communication strategy
* Work closely with staff from other sectors to ensure integrated approach in program implementation in his/her woreda.
* Prepare monthly/quarterly/annual project reports
* Provide and/or facilitate trainings and workshops as per the project work plan
* Perform additional responsibilities as required by the supervisor or MHN specialist.
* BSc/MSc Degree in Public Health or Nursing.
* Minimum work experience of 3 years for BSc Degree & 2 years for MSc Degree holders.
* Experience working as health care service provider (clinician) in the last two years.
* Experience in disease outbreak response is set up including cholera outbreak management is preferred.
* Basic supervisory/managerial skills with strong inter-personal skills.
* NGO experience in emergency Health and health care service delivery is preferable.
* Demonstrable experience in working with communities in participatory approaches and capacity building of health centers.
* Ability to plan, organize, and supervise implementation of emergency health response projects
* Good technical and report writing skills with computer skills and knowledge.
* Excellent verbal and written communication.
* Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual and ability to constructively address gaps and weaknesses.
* Ability to work under pressure in remote areas and understanding of the cultural context of the local area.
See Job Detail or Apply