With a view to supporting the political and economic reforms currently underway in Ethiopia, taking into account the upcoming 2020 national elections as well as recognizing the need for forming a coalition of civil society organizations that will engage in electoral activities in a coordinated and sustained manner, more than 60 Ethiopian civil society organizations came together to form the Coalition of Ethiopian Civil Society Organizations for Elections (CECOE) in May 2019. The Interim Coordinating Committee (ICC) of the Coalition (CECOE) is mandated to organize its activities. The ICC comprises the Ethiopian Civil Society Organization Forum (ECSF), Inter-Africa Group (IAG), Ethiopian Lawyers Association (ELA), Coalition of Christian Relief and Development Associations (CCRDA), Network of Ethiopian Women’s Associations (NEWA), Consortium of Ethiopian Civic and Voters Education Actors (CECVEA), and Ethiopian National Disability Action Network (ENDAN).
Among the objectives of CECOE, as stated in its Memorandum of Association. include:
- To undertake voter and civic education awareness, and increases/encourages voter participation in the electoral processes;
- To mobilize and provide the necessary support to members to actively participate in monitoring and observation of all electoral processes and referenda;
- To collect, organize, document, and share information related to electoral processes as well as prepare and disseminate same.
The communication officer will be responsible for managing the internal and external communication needs of the Coalition’s electoral support activities during the implementation of upcoming National Election Board of Ethiopia (NEBE) election program activities. The officer will work with the head of CECOE secretariat, the election observation coordinator and other secretariat staff in his/her role as communication officer.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as the key point of contact for communication inquiries.
- Responsible for managing CECOE social media platforms and updating the website.
- At the outset of the project, coordinates with the head of CECOE Secretariat and Elections Observation Coordinator on objectives for external communication around the voter registration observation effort and other observation activities, including identification of goals and critical stakeholders.
- In consultation with the Head of CECOE Secretariat and Elections Observation Coordinator, develops a strategic communications plan for the promotion of the voter registration and observation effort and other observation activities, including the identification of topline messages, target audiences, target messages, communications tools and tactics and metrics of success.
- As-needed throughout the project works with program staff and CECOE to develop communication products that could include: press statements, communiques, web stories, blog posts, social media updates, etc.
- Maintains up-to-date contacts of national and international contacts for invitation to press conferences and dissemination of publications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication , and related social science field.
- More than three (3) years of demonstrable communication skills and experience in related field.
- Excellent professional oral and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to effectively present information, respond to queries, and develop clear and concise reports.
- Excellent and professional teamwork and ability to work well as part of a high performing team.
- Knowledge and ability to use applicable information technology and software systems to meet work needs.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, ability to foster networks and partnerships, and good working knowledge of information and computer technology
- Analytical judgment and a demonstrated ability to handle confidential and politically sensitive issues in a responsible manner
- Experience in preparing statements, communiques, web stories, blog posts, social media updates.
- High level of attention to detail in all aspects of work.
- Amharic and English fluency, both spoken and written, are required.
Job Location: Addis Ababa
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants can send their application, CVs and copies of their credentials online using the CCRDA and CECOE Email Addresses as follows: email@example.com OR firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be submitted at the latest May 22, 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
Note that the time to start work for successful applicants will depend on the announcement of the National Election Board of Ethiopia (NEBE) new election calendar/timetable. Candidates will receive notification from CECOE /CCRDA when they will start their work.
See Job Detail or Apply