Senior Environmental Health Manager (WASH)
Job Title: Senior Environmental Health Manager (WASH)
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Melkadida, Ethiopia
Environmental Health Program (EH) in Melkadida field office has started operation at Melkadida Refugee Operation since 2010 with Water Supply Project mainly on the construction and operation of the three camps (Melkadida, Bokolmayo and Kobe Camp) later the IRC’s EH program has expanded progressively to serve refugee, host community and IPs populations covering the whole five Camps (Melkadida, Bokolmayo, Kobe, Heloweyn and Buramino Camps) including Dollo Reception Center and host communities living adjacent to the refugee Camps . The current refugee population served by the IRC’s EH program has grown to 150,846 refugees in five Camp and more than 43,095 refugee hosting communities living adjacent to the refugee Camps. The sector has three sub sectors namely water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion (SHP) & water quality. The five camp WASH projects and operation management has been led by three Environmental Health/WASH Managers. The three Environmental Health/WASH Managers will be coordinated and supervised by one Senior Environmental Health/WASH Manager who is responsible to maintain program quality and to ensure smooth implementation of IRC’s EH program and Management of IRC WASH program by providing leadership, guidance to three Environmental Health/WASH Managers and all Environmental Health/WASH staffs who are working in all the five refugee camps including Dollo Reception Center. The program focuses on provision of adequate and safe water supply, safe sanitation facilities and promotion of safe hygiene practices in averting diarrheal disease risk factors. The position will be based in Melkadida Camp with 50% travel to all the five refugee camps and Dollo Reception Center.
The position reports to the Field Coordinator operationally at Melkadida and technically to the Assistant Environmental Health (EH) Coordinator at Addis.
- Ensure that EH projects are implemented in a timely and professional manner, according to goal, objectives, and indicators and in line with donor requirements and beneficiary needs.
- Oversee the implementation of the EH/WASH program in all the five Refugee camps including Dollo Reception Center to ensure the program is implemented according to schedule and budgets, international standards, and that EH program objectives are met;
- Guide Environmental Health Managers to prepare specifications, designs and BOQs for Water and Sanitation infrastructures.
- Guide and ensure the regular provision of water supply and safe sanitation conditions in refugee Camps/settlements.
- With support from the field coordinator, maintains smooth working relationship with local governments, ARRA, UNHCR and other NGOs working in refugee Camps.
- Regularly conduct review meetings with community representatives and refugee central committees (RCCs) in the five Camps including Dollo Reception Canter to ensure EH program is client responsive
- Ensures quality of EH program meet international, national and IRC standards
- Properly manage budgets of different grants to avoid over/under spending during project implementation while maintaining proper project implementation timeline.
- Monitor the purchase and use of materials, equipment and supplies and keep PR tracking records
- Contributed in the development of proposals, budgets and concept notes in coordination with the Assistant EH Coordinator, and Grants team; ensure proper documentation of EH activities and experience at field office level.
- Conduct regular monitoring and technical support visits to project sites.
- Conduct needs assessments, project review assessments, and post-project impact assessments as needed and directed.
- Coordinate with Senior Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion Manager, Senior MEAL Manager (WASH), Water Technician Manager at Addis Level and with MEAL Officer at Field Office Level and other technical units or sectors to ensure targeted support and effective quality programming.
- Draft TOR for consultancy services, contractual works in EH program and share to technical unit
- Ensure payment certificates requests from contractual works follow proper analysis and IRC’s procedures as highlighted in conditions of contract
- Any other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
- Assist EH staff recruitments by coordinating with the Human Resources Department
- Maintain smooth working relationship with water and Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion, finance, supply chain and HR staff in the IRC Melkadida field sites /Camp to ensure team spirit and to provide effective technical, logistical and management support for all aspects of project implementation.
- Maintain updated job descriptions, conduct interviews, and orient new staff to the IRC and the EH program.
- Provide ongoing leadership to the project team and overseeing implementation and coordination of activity plans to ensure targets are met.
- Provide ongoing supervision, and technical support and guidance to EH staff, and ensure all EH staff adhere to best-practice principles in all aspects of program implementation
- In conjunction with the Field Coordinator, Camp Managers and HR Manager, ensure Performance Management System documentation for all staff is in place and followed up regularly
- Build staff capacity in work plan development and reporting to ensure accurate monitoring and documentation of activities.
- Recommend and implement a capacity building/development plan for project staff based on documented capacity needs assessments exercise.
- Ensure EH staff understands and follows IRC and donor Policies and Procedures.
Grants Management & Reporting
- Manage and oversee all the Environmental Health grants; develop and maintain work, spending and procurement plans for all projects.
- Prepare finance utilization plan and review monthly financial BVA.
- Participate in Grants Opening, Mid-Term and Closing meetings.
- Review monthly reports with due attention to consistency and accuracy submit to technical unit and meeting agreed deadlines for reporting.
- Draft internal and external reports within agreed deadlines using IRC and donor formats, as required.
- Ensure appropriate and timely spending of grants to achieve program goals, grant reporting contributions, use and distribution of supplies and resources.
Representation & Coordination
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders - including NGOs, UN agencies, Gov’t representatives and other IRC sectors to enhance cooperation and coordination.
- Ensure that information from coordination meetings is shared internally and with other sectors, as appropriate.
- Attend the WASH coordination meetings or represent the IRC in other relevant forums as required.
- MA/BA Degree in in water resource engineering, civil, or another related field.
- Six years for first degree holders and five years of experience for post graduate degree holders in EH (WASH), preferably in a humanitarian setting (refugee camps, rural development, or emergency response)
- Experience of supervising contractors and interaction with international staff and partners and donors.
- At least 2 years of management experience.
- Proven project planning, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Competent in Windows, MS office programs, email and database experience.
- Fluency in English, spoken and written
- Ability to work under pressure in a potentially unstable & insecure environment.
- Flexible, willing to travel and live temporarily in harsh environment
See Job Detail or Apply