Programme Officer - Addis Ababa
The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance — The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) is an intergovernmental organization with a mission to advance democracy worldwide, as a universal human aspiration and an enabler of sustainable development, through support to the building, strengthening and safeguarding of democratic political institutions and processes at all levels.
We believe that democracy is a universal human aspiration and an experience that is pursued and lived in different ways around the world. Beyond the basic tenets of citizens’ choice and citizens’ political equality, the critical choices are best made and the quality of democracy is best gauged by those directly concerned: the citizens themselves. We systematically nurture an open and pluralistic understanding of democracy. This is respectful of the national context, and is in line with our non-prescriptive and non-intrusive approach, as well as with the priorities set by national actors.
International IDEA produces, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes, constitution building processes, political participation and representation, as well as on democracy as it relates to gender and inclusion, conflict sensitivity and sustainable development.
It has its headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden, and offices in the Africa and West Asia, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean and Europe regions. International IDEA is a Permanent Observer to the United Nations.
International IDEA has, together with six of its partners, formed a Gender consortium on “Enhancing the Inclusion of Women in Political Participation in Africa”. This project is one of the ways in which International IDEA fulfills is 2018-22 strategy to “stimulate and contribute to the public debate on democracy and assist in strengthening processes, reforms, institutions and actors, that build, advance and safeguard democracy”. The Institution believes in the centrality of Gender to all its programmes, understanding that the work of democracy needs by necessity be gender informed, and gender inclusive.
The three year project, funded by the Embassy of Sweden in Ethiopia, has the overall goal to increase the political participation and representation of women in Africa in line with the Maputo Protocol of 2003, various associated sub-regional protocols and standards and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by contributing to an increase in the voice and presence of women in political processes and institutions in Africa; stepping up advocacy for and expanding awareness towards increased demands for the inclusion of women at all levels of political participation and decision-making; building and strengthening enabling platforms that allow for womens’ inclusion in all levels of political participation.
To achieve the project goal, International IDEA and the partners will work with, among others; political parties, public interest groups (media, institutions that are custodians of customary and religious law), election management bodies, parliaments, gender/ women’s ministries, Regional economic communities, the African Union and policy makers across the continent.
The Programme Officer will contribute to the design, planning and implementation of project activities, will analyze developments in the arena of gender and politics in Africa and globally, as well as support the execution of project delivery and budget.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to the design, planning and implementation of project activities under the direction and in collaboration with the Senior Regional Advisor, AWA;
- Manages, facilitates and supports the work of the consortium Project Implementation and Coordination Committee;
- Supports the promotion of dialogue and consensus building and provides support and advice to facilitate an enabling environment;
- Performs representational duties as delegated, and manages the visibility of the project in line with International IDEA and donor requirements;
- Assesses and analyzes developments in the arena of gender and politics in Africa and globally, and makes recommendations for the update and revision of project activities; Provides expert advice to partners and project staff as required;
- Prepares and contributes to project-related reports, including policy briefs, op-eds and related updates on project activities and developments based on donor requirements, including contribution to revision and updating of project documents and web content;
- Monitors budget implementation of the project and sub-grants to ensure compliance with donor requirements and International IDEA’s policies and procedures;
- Contributes to the development and maintenance of a network of key actors and stakeholders across the region;
- Integrates a rights-based approach, gender and diversity perspective in project planning and implementation of activities;
- Actively manages risk in line with organizational risk management policies and procedures;
- Liaises with Member States, donors, partners and other key stakeholders on project activities, ensuring effective coordination of the project.
- Possesses in depth knowledge, excellent skills and relevant experience in own discipline;
- Will contribute significantly to assigned projects all along the project life cycle, i.e. from project design and funding to project assessment; will lead meetings and discussions, supervise publications and review input from external providers;
- Has contributed to publications on the relevant subject; is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Can work with minimal guidance and supervision;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model or mentor for less experienced colleagues;
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’ s core values; Respect, Integrity and Professionalism;
- Integrates a gender and inclusion perspective in all activities.
- Senior Regional Advisor
- Has in-depth knowledge in the areas of political participation and gender inclusion with good understanding of the complexities of democratic transitions in order to approach programmatic activities in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has a good understanding of relevant programmatic issues in the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented – which may imply field experience at some point;
- Contributes to the research of information on donors and partners, preparation of reports and project briefs, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management in past experiences.
- No people management responsibility over permanent staff;
- Acts as a model and resource for more junior colleagues;
- May assume project management responsibilities.
- Identifies and resolves complex problems; approaches issues with new perspectives; analyses situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery;
- Can also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises to all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy and build consensus;
- Excellent knowledge in written and oral English is required. Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region (Arabic, French, Spanish) would be an asset.
Education and Experience
- University degree in Gender Studies, Development Studies, Political Science, Law, or other relevant discipline;
- A minimum of five (5) years of professional experience working in the field of democracy and political participation;
- Relevant field experience working in Africa is required;
- Experience working with relevant women's / gender organizations or thematic issues is considered an advantage.
Terms of Contract:
- International post
- One (1) year fixed term appointment.
- Salary EUR 4 495 NET plus benefits.
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 23:59 (CEST) 20 May 2020.
- All applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
How to apply
See Job Detail or Apply