Local Start-up Coordinator
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
NPI EXPAND Overview
The New Partnerships Initiative (NPI) Expanding Health Partnerships—NPI EXPAND Project— is a five-year project which aims to support Missions with increasing the availability and utilization of quality health services across all USAID priority health areas. Early buy-ins have come from Missions in Ethiopia, Liberia, and Mali.
In line with the Journey to Self-Reliance (J2SR), the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) is committed to expanding its range of implementing partners by investing in new and underutilized local partners (NUPs) and strengthening their capacity to strategize, plan, and implement health sector programs with USAID funds. Enhanced participation of capable local partners to increase demand for and deliver high-quality, high impact health services will enable governments to meet crucial health goals equitably and sustainably. NPI EXPAND will catalyze opportunities to scale up innovative interventions by strengthening the capacity of NUPs with varying levels of capabilities and exposure to USAID.
In Ethiopia, NPI EXPAND will support USAID Ethiopia’s Empowering Communities for Better Health project by strengthening the capacity of selected community structures to engage in social accountability for family planning (FP) and maternal, neonatal child health services (MNCH), and improved quality and scale-up of these services.
Purpose of Consultancy
During Phase 1 of the project, NPI EXPAND project staff will design and implement a civil society organization landscape mapping activity. The project will solicit proposals and choose a local resource firm to co-design and co-implement the mapping activity. NPI EXPAND is registering in Ethiopia and will establish an office in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, hiring in-country staff to support this work.
The NPI EXPAND Local Start-Up Coordinator will play a key role in supporting the establishment of NPI EXPAND presence in Addis Ababa for the accomplishment of all activities to be included under the NPI EXPAND Ethiopia country program, including the initial landscape mapping of CSOs working in health in the country. The Local Start-Up Coordinator is expected to be based in Addis Ababa and will report to the NPI EXPAND Field Support Director based in Washington, D.C.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide any required logistical support to local consultants and firms that NPI EXPAND will hire to provide technical assistance to the mapping activity and the project overall;
- Facilitate the search and set up of NPI EXPAND office in Ethiopia, including all administrative and logistical aspects for a functioning office in Addis Ababa;'Assist with project registration activities as needed;
- Represent NPI EXPAND in meetings with firms/stakeholders/partners, whenever required to do so;
- Attend specified NPI EXPAND meetings with firms/partners/stakeholders and take notes;
- Attend weekly or biweekly debrief meetings with the Field Support Director and the Capacity Development Director;
- Gather any background information and documents that NPI EXPAND may require for the mapping activity, various technical studies, activities, etc;
- Take specific measures to ensure both NPI EXPAND and HP+ activities in Ethiopia are well-coordinated, if necessary;
- Monitor the operating environment in Ethiopia and update the NPI EXPAND team about any emerging issues that affect the work of NPI EXPAND in Ethiopia;
- Coordinate in-county transport for NPI EXPAND staff during Ethiopia TDYs;
- Arrange for meetings between NPI EXPAND staff and partners during Ethiopia TDYs;
- Perform any other duties assigned by either the NPI EXPAND Field Support Director, Project Delivery Manager and/or the Capacity Development Director.
- This position is open to local Ethiopian nationals only;
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in international health, international development, international affairs, demographics, public health or related fields.Master’s degree in public health preferred;
- Strong experience in designing and/or managing family planning, reproductive health, maternal/neonatal/child health, nutrition, and/or WASH projects/programs in Ethiopia;
- Strong experience working with USAID-funded health programs in Ethiopia;
- Experience in coordinating logistics for establishing health projects in Ethiopia;
- Good knowledge of the Ethiopian health context;
- Fluent in speaking, reading, writing in English;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Experience with Microsoft Office operating programs;
- Experience in report writing.
Anticipated Period of Performance and Level of Effort
The anticipated period of performance for this consultancy is 1 May – 30 August 2020 with a maximum 20 hours per week level of effort.
See Job Detail or Apply