Associate Durable Solutions Officer, P2, Jijiga
The Associate Durable Solutions Officer can serve as a focal point for solutions related issues in a region, and reports to the Durable Solutions Officer, Protection Officer or, where appropriate, to the Senior Protection Officer or Head of Office. The incumbent may have supervisory responsibility for durable solutions staff.
The Associate Durable Solutions Officer is relied upon to contribute to ensuring a conducive environment leading towards finding durable solutions. The Associate Durable Solutions Officer should participate in consultative processes within UNHCR and a broad range of partners to promote durable solutions and advance the efficiency of UNHCR's interventions. Activities to strength the involvement of refugee communities and their hosts in the design and implementation of solutions strategies are a critical element of the work
- The durable solutions strategy is implemented in a manner which ensures that all available solutions are complimentary and reinforce each other.
- The durable solutions strategy is implemented in a manner which capitalizes on regional mobility frameworks and partnerships.
- Appropriate durable solutions are offered to a maximum number of Persons of Concern (PoCs).
- Implement activities in accordance with the comprehensive solutions strategy, with a view to finding durable solutions to the maximum number of PoCs.
- Participate in the planning of, and advise on opportunities for alternative solutions, including available regional and national legal frameworks.
- Participate in consultative processes within UNHCR and with a broad range of regional and national external partners to promote voluntary repatriation, local integration and resettlement.
- Meet persons of concern, assess their durable solutions needs and identify the most appropriate solutions for them.
- Monitor the implementation of the durable solutions strategy and provide advice for improvements.
- Analyse statistics, trends, and other documents, and draft reports.
- Interview and prepare Resettlement Referral Forms (RRF), in line with Resettlement SOPs.
- Interview candidates for local integration and prepare the appropriate documentation for onward submission to local authorities or partners, in line with Local Integration SOPs.
- Implement and contribute to the designing of national and regional comprehensive durable solutions strategies
- Engage national and local interlocutors on durable solutions issues.
- Authorize payments relating to durable solutions.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Law/International Law, Political Science, Social Science, Economics, International Relations or related field plus minimum of 3 years relevant professional experience including 2 years in the field. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master¿s) plus 2 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 1 year of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
- Very good reporting and writing skills.
- Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Diverse field experience desirable.
- Completed Protection Learning Programme or the RSD-Resettlement LP an asset.
- Excellent knowledge in MS Word, Excel and ProGres database.
- Knowledge of additional UN languages.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should submit their application online on the UNHCR Careers Page at https://www.unhcr.org/careers.html by clicking on "Vacancies".
Closing date for applications: 16 April 2020 (midnight Geneva time).
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and
opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities
as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are
encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex,
national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.