Tech. Spec. / Public Financial Management Specialist (Amhara, Benishangul-Gumuz) - HFIP Ethiopia
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
The USAID-funded Health Financing Improvement Program seeks to strengthen the health financing functions and systems to support universal health coverage of quality primary health care (PHC) services for Ethiopian citizens. Project objectives include increasing domestic resource mobilization for enhanced provision of quality PHC services, streamlining pooling of risk-sharing/insurance mechanisms for wider access to PHC services with reduced financial barriers, facilitating strategic purchasing of health services from public and private health providers, and improving governance, management and evidence-generation for health financing reforms and health facilities.
Under the supervision and direction of the Amhara and Benishangul-Gumuz Regional Team Director, the Public Financial Management (PFM) Specialist is primarily responsible for technically supporting and coordinating implementation of PFM capacity in the regional health system as stipulated under the project’s intermediate result (IR) 1. S/he is also significantly involved in work conducted under other project IRs, such as institutionalizing tools and skills for periodic user fees revision; building organizational capacity and supporting institutionalization of health finance and governance systems, with a focus on PFM; and conducting or contributing to PFM and retained revenue and utilization (RRU) related research. The position is based in the project’s regional office in Bahir Dar, with local travel as required.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist the Amhara and Benishangul-Gumuz Regional Team Director to effectively support increasing the availability of additional resources to the health sector and improving their use in the regions
- Technically lead efforts to build PFM capacity in the regional health bureaus (RHBs), zonal health departments (ZHDs), woreda health offices (WorHOs), and health facilities through training and backstopping during supportive supervision and other forms of outreach
- Support capacity building and institutionalization of health finance capabilities, with an emphasis on PFM; including contributing to the transition of PFM and FAMS capacity to universities and in-service training centers
- Assist the RHBs in adapting and/or updating PFM guidelines for the health sector, with particular focus on health facilities and FAMS for community-based health insurance (CBHI) schemes
- Provide technical and coordination support to the RHBs, EHIA branch offices, and CBHI schemes on institutionalization and proper use of PFM guidelines and FAMS
- Contribute in designing user fee revision tools, and provide technical and coordination support to the RHB and health facilities in their implementation and use
- Mainly by providing cost information, contribute to the project’s exploration of alternative provider payment mechanisms (PPMs), including testing and piloting and scale-up, as appropriate. Collaborate with the project’s Strategic Purchasing Specialist and health insurance teams, EHIA staff, and other partners, as needed
- Assist in exploring tools that can be used to revise user fees in public health facilities
- Contribute to the project’s generation of evidence for policy use in both PFM and FAMS, in collaboration with project’s monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) and other teams, project partners and other stakeholders
- Produce high-quality and timely inputs for MEL and implementation plans, quarterly/annual/final performance reports, and other reports and deliverables
- Write and/or contribute to project learning materials such as articles for project newsletter, success stories, presentations, and other inputs to support the project’s learning agenda
- Provide technical support to the project’s regional technical teams in areas of PFM and FAMS
- Foster and manage strong working relationships with government counterparts
- Assist in managing the work of subcontractors/sub-grantees as appropriate
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s Degree in Financial Management, Business Administration, Accounting or other relevant field
- At least 6 years of relevant professional experience in PFM, preferably in the Ethiopian health sector
- Experience working on USAID-funded projects is highly desirable
- Significant experience in health sector planning, budgeting, health services costing and pricing, health facility and health facility financial management
- Experience in health insurance financial management and claims processing/management
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as a member of a team and as a team leader, with the ability to accept the inputs of other team members and to contribute to other colleagues work
- Demonstrates leadership and team work and produces high quality work in a timely, cost effective manner
- Proven experience of capacity building and team work with other stakeholders, notably government counterparts at different levels
- Strong organizational and interpersonal communication skills
- Strong writing skills and fluency in English and Amharic is required
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel)
- (6+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
See Job Detail or Apply