Team Leader: SHARPE
Team Leader: Strengthening Host and Refugee Populations in Ethiopia (SHARPE)
Strengthening Host and Refugee Population Economies (SHARPE) aims to increase livelihoods opportunities for refugees and host communities using the market systems approach. SHARPE will operate in 3 locations in Ethiopia, Jijiga, Dollo Ado and Gambella, with a coordinating office in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Role and responsibilities
The SHARPE Team Leader will be the main focal point for the Department for International Development (DFID) and will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The Team Leader is DAI’s representative for SHARPE in Ethiopia.
The Team Leader holds overall accountability for the achievement of SHARPE’s intended results, ensuring that deliverables are submitted on time and to a high standard and that the programme is delivering against its intended objectives. They will be responsible for setting and meeting objectives set out by the project and in the logframe as well as delivery of programme activities and client reporting. The Team Leader will manage all programme personnel and field operations across the region and will ensure that deliverables are met, finance and compliance systems are adhered to, the broader project team, including all staff, consultants, partners and service providers, are effectively managed, and the programme is well represented when required by DFID or DAI.
Project timeframe: SHARPE is a 3.5-year project and commenced in September 2019.
SHARPE’s inception phase is 6 months (September 2019 – February 2020) with a subsequent 3 implementation years.
Duties and Responsibilities
- These may be subject to change as the project evolves. This list is not exhaustive.
- Hold overall accountability and oversight of all three Hub teams and Addis Ababa team, human resources, operations and deliverables – establishing clear lines of communication across the different teams.
- Effectively manage the project team both technically and financially, ensuring optimal roles for staff, consultants, subcontractors to operate high performing programmes that meet deliverables and performance targets.
- Ensure programme activities are on target for achievement - identifying and acting upon remedial action as and when needed in a timely way.
- Ensure that programme goals and vision are clearly understood by all team members.
- Lead the development of workplans and maintain oversight over programme work planning, and coordinating work plans across the three Hubs ensuring all workplans coherently contribute to the overall SHARPE workplan.
- Maintain oversight and management of programme monitoring and evaluation framework ensuring accurate reporting of results data and ongoing tracking of progress against SHARPE’s agreed objectives and theory of change.
- Oversee use of technical expertise on project, facilitating provision of technical experts as needed to optimise use of expertise across the project teams.
- Ensure team is working as a cohesive unit across all locations – coordinating team workplans and milestones to ensure all operations drive towards ultimate programme targets.
- Maintain oversight of programme budget, understanding the structure of the Head Contract with DFID and how this impacts programme activities. This includes accountability for expenses and activities expenditure and ensuring adherence to DAI’s financial processes.
Stakeholder Management and Coordination
- Act as principle liaison with DFID in Ethiopia – ensuring DFID in Ethiopia are appraised of project progress and issues are identified early; ensure all project deliverables are submitted on time and to the highest quality.
- Conduct and lead strategic discussions with key stakeholders across the industry including government organisations, public sector entities, representatives from producers and retailers and regional economic bodies. Identify strategic linkages that should be made, as well as assisting the design of interventions where the programme have make an impact including with Government Ministries, with key actors in the private sector, NGOs and camp level actors.
- Lead the SHARPE Senior Management Team - ensuring the management team are coordinated and effectively driving towards SHARPE’s programme objectives and issues are identified and escalated in a timely and appropriate manner.
The Team leader is based in Addis Ababa with extensive, frequent travel required to the SHARPE hub offices in Dollo Ado, Jijiga and Gambella. The Team Leader reports to the Home Office Project Director and leads the SHARPE Senior Management Team.
Key Skills & Qualifications
- 15 years demonstrated senior leadership role on DFID funded programme(s) – preferably in a Team Leader or equivalent role is essential.
- Demonstrated senior leadership role in a Private Sector development or Market Systems project is essential
- Knowledge, experience and understanding how to operate in complex humanitarian context is desirable
Ability to move to Addis Ababa: Expected start date December 2019.
See Job Detail or Apply