Senior Information Management Assistant
The Senior Information Management Assistant assists in the production and dissemination of information on the population of concern, including but not limited to Protection and Programme information.
The position is supervised by a more senior position at the field level and receives functional guidance and support from IM specialists at country/regional and global level. Subject to the nature of the task/assignment, he/she will work independently on routine tasks, while will follow instructions of the supervisor for more complex issues. The position has no supervisory role. The incumbent may play a liaison role with the national and local authorities for gathering and exchange of data.
- The Office has reliable and up-to-date data on persons of concern.
- Global data standards, and where appropriate, the establishment of country-specific common data standards are adopted by UNHCR and its partners.
- Assist in operationalizing country-specific common data standards and promoting them with partners.
- Assist in compiling and aggregating information elements required to produce standardized information products and implement data/information collection plans for baseline and context-specific data.
- Support the operation in the analysis of processed data and information and perform data quality and consistency control.
- Facilitate the analysis of cross-border information between relevant countries.
- May be required to collect GIS data, update maps and undertake field trips to project sites.
- May be required to participate in Needs Assessment processes, specifically in data collection, processing/collation and data exploration.
- Perform any other related duties as requested.
- Liaise with partners and represent UNHCR in meetings related to the functions.
- Decide on appropriate resolution to data management problems and escalate issues to the supervisor if incident cannot be resolved.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Completion of secondary education with certificate/training in Information Technology, Demography, Statistics, Social Sciences or any related area.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Advanced Excel skills (e.g. pivot tables, functions, etc.).
- Experience with handling confidential data and demonstrated understanding of different data collection methodologies.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge of UNHCR administrative and financial rules and procedures.
- Knowledge and working experience of MSRP HR, Finance and EPM Budget applications.
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
- Knowledge of another relevant UN or local languages.
MANAGERIAL AND CROSS FUNCTIONAL COMPETENCIES
- Analytical Thinking
- Innovation and Creativity
- Technological Awareness
- Desirable Qualifications and Competencies
- Successful participation in the Operational Data management Learning Programme.
- Experience in web design and software development is an asset.
- Experience with relevant software such as ArcGIS, Mapinfo, SPSS, EpiInfo6, SQL Server, and/or proGres.
- Experience with HTML, PHP, ASP and/or Java is an asset.
- Proven skills to analyse statistical information.
- Ability to formulate IM-related technical requirements and Operating Procedures.
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
This vacancy is open for qualified Ethiopians and Non-Ethiopians with a valid work permit from Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
UNHCR is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Applicants who wish to be considered for this position should send a motivation letter, the most recent factsheet and the new updated P11 Form through the online application system.
Candidates may be required to take a written test.
Due to the volume of applications only shortlisted candidates will be invited for interview.
Refugees – who cares? We Do.
See Job Detail or Apply