Senior Finance Assistant
Vacancy No. IOM-SVN/0025/2020
Position Title Senior Finance Assistant
Duty Station Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Type of Appointment SVN, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date As soon as possible
Posting Period 09.03.2020 – 23.03.2020
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal & External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Under the overall supervision of the Resources Management Officer and the direct supervision of the Resources Management Officer-Finance, the incumbent will be responsible for the implementation of financial functions in connection with IOM activities in Ethiopia. In particular, he/she will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Monitor the financial operations of the mission including financial expenditures and accountability.
- Prepare internal and donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures, and in compliance with donors’ requirements
- Supervise and provide guidance to Finance Clerks in Addis Ababa and Finance Assistants in sub-offices on administrative and finance issues with recommendations and follow-up for changes in internal control system.
- Review purchase and payment requests, ensuring validity of claims, completeness of supporting documentation and consistency of values; ensure the request is within the budget.
- Coordinate monthly preparation of the quality reviews of the mission’s accounting documentation and suggest recommendations for improvements.
- Monitor budget control and analyze variances between the mission’s project budgets and actual expenditures.
- Review financial reports from implementing partners for sub-contracted activities.
- Participate in planning/budget revisions for projects, office, and distribution of common cost during projectization.
- Assist RMO (Finance) in addressing Periodic Checklist Reviews from RAS by ensuring the allocated areas of focus are done in time and regularly review to ensure no old outstanding items remain unattended.
- Prepare Office Cost Projectization analysis file at the beginning of each month in coordination with RMO (Finance).
- Undertake quality control checks on monthly accounts, ensure that all open items including bank reconciliations are cleared in a timely manner and review all other financial matters with banks and vendors.
- Make recommendations on procedural improvements and train project staff in the relevant areas of administration and finance. Facilitate knowledge building and sharing in IOM’s policies and procedures.
- Ensure that the provisions of the IOM Travel Regulations are adhered to by the staff when initiating travel and verifying travel expense claims.
- Liaise with other internal functional units of the Mission, as well as banking, donors and government counterparts and other stakeholders as required in the performance of the accounting function.
- Propone and monitor adherence to appropriate internal controls to safeguard the Organization’s assets, control cash and prevent fraud.
- Maintain an efficient financial reporting tracking system for Emergency projects’ in coordination with mission’s PSU
- Provide support to Project Managers managing Emergency Projects throughout the project cycle to ensure compliance with IOMs ’policies and procedures and any donor-specific requirements
- Assist Project Managers preparing and reviewing Emergency Projects monthly Staff projectization
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
- University Degree in Accounting and Finance or related field from an accredited academic institution
- Six years of relevant professional work experience
- Experience in INGO/NGOs & International organizations is an asset;
- High level of computer literacy is required, in particular, experience in computerized accounting systems and software; good knowledge of MS Office specifically Excel and
- Ability to coordinate administrative activities
- Experience in basic project management
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills
- Report writing and very good representational skills
- Proven supervisory/ managerial skills
- Computer literate; proficient in Microsoft Windows and MS Office applications
- Fluency in English and Amharic
- Knowledge of local languages is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies;
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighboring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighboring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address RECADDIS@IOM.INT, by March 23rd, 2020 at the latest, referring the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn`t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!
See Job Detail or Apply