Senior Data Manager
We are seeking to appoint a full-time Senior Data Manager to be based in Addis Ababa, St. Paul Millennium Medical College with a frequent travel to the field site located close to Debre Berhan town, to support the development and running of the BIRHAN Maternal and Child Morbidity and Mortality Surveillance Program. This is collaboration between Harvard University and St. Paul’s Hospital Millennium Medical College. The post-holder will be responsible for managing field and clinical data using a standard data management system. The post holder will be expected to support the investigative team, lead data transaction based on the set direction, manage permission to the server, maintain access accounts, procure equipment needed for data handling, troubleshooting problems, prepare reports and work with an international and local team.
St. Paul’s Hospital Millennium Medical College, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The Medical School opened in 2007; it is intended to alleviate the severe shortage of medical doctors in the country. In line with various encouraging efforts performed by the Ethiopian Federal Ministry of Health in this regard, it is clear that the newly opened school, with a practical modular and integrated curriculum will be providing much-needed medical professionals to the people of Ethiopia.
Harvard University, USA
Harvard University traces its roots to public health activism. The faculty commits themselves to research as well as teaching. The University produces knowledge through research, reproduces knowledge through higher education, and translates knowledge into evidence that can be communicated to the public, policymakers, and practitioners to advance the health of populations.
BIRHAN Maternal and Child Morbidity and Mortality Surveillance (BMCMMS)
The BIRHAN Maternal and Child Morbidity and Mortality Surveillance program is aimed at understanding the causes of maternal and child morbidity and mortality in developing countries, particularly in Ethiopia. This is a joint partnership between St. Paul’s Hospital Millennium Medical College in Ethiopia and Harvard University.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The post-holder will work full-time at St. Paul’s Hospital Millennium Medical College, Addis Ababa with frequent travel to the field in Debre Birhan for and supervision activities of the surveillance program. The post-holder will be responsible for handling data from field to database and archiving. The post holder will be expected to: plan, develop and oversee the electronic data collection, quality checks, transfer, clean and backup data, give training for field staff and support assistant database workers, prepare reports and work with close collaboration with international and local team.
The post-holder will work full-time at the BMCMMS, Addis Ababa/Debre Birhan, Ethiopia.
- Work with the study investigators in adapting and developing a data process that suits the activities of the study
- Lead all data related activities of the BIRHAN data team including data collection methods and tools, data cleaning, data quality and reporting
- Develop process and standard study document for data cleaning and error correction; oversee execution of these activities by data team
- Develop process and standard study document for data quality assurance and control; oversee execution of these activities by the team
- Generate key indicators for the HDSS; generate accurate routine reports as per study requirements
- Perform and generate analysis results as per analysis plans
- Upload and update system on the server and tablets, and perform the checks on every section of the program;
- Ensure a system of quality data transaction between field site and central servers/cloud storages
- Directly supervise team of data coordinator, assistant and
- Work closely with developers in managing data collection platforms
- Work with local and international statisticians and epidemiologists;
- Ensure data quality across surveillance works (eg data checks, audit) and
- Participate in meetings and workshops of the HDSS and Clinical setting.
This job description reflects the present requirements of the post but may be altered at any time in the future as duties and responsibilities change and/or develop provided there is full consultation with the post-holder. The post-holder will carry out any other duties, tasks or responsibilities as reasonably requested by the local PI.
Responsible to: Local PI
No. of posts 1
Duration of contract 1 year with likely extension
Education and Experience:
- Degree in statistics/biostatistics; Additional qualifications in computer science or IT
- Advanced Data Management experience;
- Experience in health research is a plus
- Research Management
- Principles of survey and surveillance
- Data quality assurance
- Computer language
- Ability to handle big data;
- Statistical software and analyses
- Write computer database program;
- Previous experience on relational database;
- Extract data to other databases like excel, STATA
- Good command of English and Amharic language
How to Apply
- Must fill out the attached form https://ift.tt/2xKZRel
- Submit their CV, Cover letter and Credentials
- Via e-mail to email@example.com
- Via post office to Saint Paul’s Millennium Medical College, P.O.Box 1271, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. OR
- In-person to Saint Paul’s Millennium Medical College Human Resource department.
- Must include the name of the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email. If this is not included, your application will not be considered.
Closing Date: within 10 working days of the announcement of this vacancy.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
See Job Detail or Apply