Research Officer I – Field Seed Source (2)
World Agroforestry (ICRAF) seeks to recruit two Research Officer I – Field Seed Source who will take part in all aspects of PATSPOs seed source development/establishment and seed source registration activities, with focus on practical work in the field.
General: World Agroforestry (also known as the International Centre for Research in Agroforestry-ICRAF) is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. As part of the Centre’s work to bring tree-based solutions to bear on poverty and environmental problems, researchers – working in close collaboration with partners – are developing new technologies, tools and policy recommendations for increased food security and ecosystem health. The Centre’s headquarter is located in Nairobi, Kenya, and research is conducted in more than 30 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and receive funding from over 50 different donors. To learn more about our organization, please visit our website: https://ift.tt/HkP0Zc.
Based on the species-specific priorities of an integrated approach to seed procurement, tree improvement and gene conservation, plan, prepare and implement the activities accordingly;
- Prepare inputs to the annual work plans in the subject matter;
- Prepare and follow up financial aspects of the seed source work in the field;
- Prepare cost estimates and related requests for advance payments;
- Supervise and assist in national seed source exploration for priority species for seed collection and site selection for BSO establishments;
- Plan and establish seed stand cum ex situ stand and/or seed orchards (BSOs) of selected priority species;
- Provide support to and liaise with Ethiopian Environment Forest Research Institute/Forestry Research Centre (EEFRI/FRC) and the four regional tree seed centres (RTSC) in planning, co-ordination, and supervision of the PATSPO supported activities related to all aspects of tree breeding/seed procurement;
- Plan and assist in implementation of applied research and data recording, incl. all data related to the Breeding Seed Orchards (BSO) programme;
- Guide staff at the Forestry Research Centre (FRC) and the four Regional Tree Seed Centres (RTSCs) in maintenance, management and data collection from the BSO programme; Actively take part in seed source description and compile, maintain and update national seed source register based on seed sources described at Forestry Research Centre (FRC) and the four Regional Tree Seed Centres (RTSCs;)
- Carry out networking on tree improvement/seed procurement with other professionals, organizations, institutions, projects, etc. in Ethiopia and the region;
- Record all relevant data, and process and publish, whenever relevant, in Ethiopian and international journals and other media.
- MSc degree in Forestry or a related field.
- Excellent writer and communicator.
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills in an international environment.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to work independently on agreed priorities and deliverables.
- Experience forestry development work in Ethiopia is highly desirable.
- Ability to work under pressure with high accuracy and to meet deadlines.
- Fluency in English and Amharic; working knowledge of other Ethiopian languages is desirable.
- At least 3 years post-graduate relevant experience in theoretical and practical aspects of tree improvement with emphasis on field work and field establishments.
- Ability to work periods in the field and to develop and implement seed source establishment.
- Ability to present information on the PATSPO work on seed sources in various means and ways to suit specialist and non-specialist audiences, - and assist in the preparation of practical guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as well as member of teams.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Job Grade: HG13
Monthly Base Salary: Birr 35,492 (Negotiable depending on the salary history of the candidate)
Terms of appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is for one year with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits such as life and medical insurance, offshore pension plan, etc. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus in Addis Ababa. Dining and sports facilities are located on site.
Applications: Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: SRFSSO/17/20 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: https://ift.tt/3cE9LOY clicking on the "Apply Now" tab above before 23 March 2020.
To find more about ICRAF, visit our Website at https://ift.tt/HkP0Zc.
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at https://www.ilri.org
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.
See Job Detail or Apply