§ A clinical, public health or Field Epidemiology (FETP) graduate, preferably with an advanced degree.
§ 10 years of experience working in the management of disease surveillance and response projects in developing countries, including Ethiopia
§ Experience managing US government-funded programs.
§ Familiarity with IHR and Ethiopia IDSR **
Knowledge and Skills**
§ Project/programme management skills
§ Demonstrated ability to work with the MoH, local health staff, and local officials.
§ Ability to provide leadership, communicate effectively, conflict resolution, and promote a team approach to enhance staff commitment to the program’s success.
§ Fluent in written and spoken Amharic and English.
About Amref Health Africa
Founded in 1957 in Nairobi, Kenya, Amref Health Africa is the largest Africa-based international NGO, reaching 35 countries. We work to ensure every African can enjoy the right to health services by helping create vibrant networks of informed communities that work with empowered health care providers in strong health systems. Amref has over half a century of experience in delivering health care and building health systems in Africa, partnering with those at the heart of communities to bring lasting health change.
Amref Health Africa partners with the Government of Ethiopia and local communities to implement diversified health and WASH project portfolios throughout the country, focusing on three key programmatic areas: Reproductive Maternal, Neonatal, Child, Adolescent and Youth Health (RMNCAYH), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), and Communicable and Non-Communicable diseases. We implement projects in Addis Ababa, Afar, Amhara, Benishangul-Gumuz, Gambella, Oromia, Somali, SNNP regions and nationwide health systems strengthening interventions focusing on the Health Extension Program.
Amref Health Africa is recruiting a Project Director to be based in Addis Ababa (Country Office). S/he will report to the Principal Investigator.
Position: Project Director
Reports to: Principal Investigator
The Project Director will provide technical leadership on disease surveillance and response through capacity building and backstopping of staff implementing the project. The Project Director will also build strategic partnerships with stakeholders in the sector, including the MoH and other implementing partners working in the developing regional states. They will support and participate in national and regional level meetings to ensure that the health system is strengthened to effectively detect and respond to health emergencies and diseases of public health concern.
· In collaboration with the Principal Investigator, set program direction and supervise the project activities related to disease surveillance and response.
· Provide overall supervision and guidance to the MoH, regional and district teams in line with the project goals
· Lead and direct technical capacity building (training and supervision) for provision of disease surveillance and response activities.
· Oversee the design and roll out of strategic documents related to disease surveillance and response (Strategies, guidelines, SOPs).
· Participate in identifying project training needs and provide appropriate recommendations.
Monitoring Evaluation and Learning
· Monitor the progress of the project objectives and targets and work with MOH and other implementing partners to accomplish project goals and objectives.
· Prepare quarterly, semi-annual and annual narrative progress reports. Perform site visits and technical program reviews
· Participate in relevant meetings with the MoH and other donors.
How to apply:
If you would like to join Amref’s team, please quote the position/reference number in the subject matter and send your CV and application letter with remuneration requirements and contact details of three work-related referees, through Etrecruitment@amref.org , ethijobs.com or to the Human Resources Department, Amref Health Africa by P.O Box 20855/1000, Addis Ababa.
The closing date for submitting applications is March 20, 2020. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Telephone call to the office is strongly forbidden.
Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.