Principal Investigator (PI)
About Amref Health Africa
Founded in 1957 in Nairobi, Kenya, Amref Health Africa is the largest Africa-based international NGO, reaching 35 countries. We work to ensure every African can enjoy the right to health services by helping create vibrant networks of informed communities that work with empowered health care providers in strong health systems. Amref has over half a century of experience in delivering health care and building health systems in Africa, partnering with those at the heart of communities to bring lasting health change.
Amref Health Africa partners with the Government of Ethiopia and local communities to implement diversified health and WASH project portfolios throughout the country, focusing on three key programmatic areas: Reproductive Maternal, Neonatal, Child, Adolescent and Youth Health (RMNCAYH), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), and Communicable and Non-Communicable diseases. We implement projects in Addis Ababa, Afar, Amhara, Benishangul-Gumuz, Gambella, Oromia, Somali, SNNP regions and nationwide health systems strengthening interventions focusing on the Health Extension Program.
Amref Health Africa is recruiting a Principal Investigator (PI) to be based in Addis Ababa (Country Office). S/he will report to the Country Director.
Position: Principal Investigator (PI)
Reports to: Country Director Amref Health Africa
The Principal Investigator (PI) will provide overall strategic and technical leadership and oversight to the project; ensure technical rigor and efficient and effective delivery of the objectives; and support and supervise the four key personnel. They will develop and nurture working relationships with senior level government leadership, key stakeholders, collaborate with a broad range of public and private sector counterparts and support CDC to achieve the goals of CDC-RFA-GH20-2094: Advancing Ethiopia's Capacity for Laboratory, Workforce Development, Surveillance, and Emergency Management to meet International Health Regulations requirements.
· Provide technical guidance and leadership to ensure that activities related to clinical and technical support are implemented and monitored and objectives are implemented as planned.
· Provide regular knowledge and skill update to all key personnel within the program on new clinical developments related to disease surveillance and response.
· Ensures that the project documents lessons learned and implements best practices.
· Interact with CDC teams on relevant technical issues affecting the project
· Ensure timely submission of major technical reports to CDC and other stakeholders.
· Ensure effective and efficient coordination and integration among the activity implementing partners
· Foster strong partnerships and collaborations with the MOH, woreda, local organisations and other relevant stakeholders.
· Supports the implementation of disease surveillance and response related policy, programs and training curricula; and communicates all policy updates and new directions to the program and technical teams as appropriate.
How to apply:
Master’s degree or higher qualification in a health-related field.
15 years of experience out of which 10 years should be in management of complex projects in Ethiopia.
Experience managing US government-funded programs with technical excellence.
Familiarity with IHR, Ethiopia IDSR policies & PHEM guideline
Knowledge and Skills
Ability to provide leadership, communicate effectively, and promote a team approach.
Demonstrated technical and managerial ability, sound judgment, conflict resolution, ability to interact and work effectively with others at all levels.
Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with clients, donor and governments including Ministry of Health.
Fluency in written and spoken English.
If you would like to join Amref’s team, please quote the position/reference number in the subject matter and send your CV and application letter with remuneration requirements and contact details of three work-related referees, through Etrecruitment@amref.org , ethijobs.com or to the Human Resources Department, Amref Health Africa by P.O Box 20855/1000, Addis Ababa.
The closing date for submitting applications is March 20, 2020. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Telephone call to the office is strongly forbidden.
Amref Health Africa is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.