Office Assistant (Central Office) - HFIP Ethiopia
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
The USAID-funded Health Financing Improvement Program seeks to strengthen the health financing functions and systems to support universal health coverage of quality primary health care (PHC) services for Ethiopian citizens. Project objectives include increasing domestic resource mobilization for enhanced provision of quality PHC services, streamlining pooling of risk-sharing/insurance mechanisms for wider access to PHC services with reduced financial barriers, facilitating strategic purchasing of health services from public and private health providers, and improving governance, management and evidence-generation for health financing reforms and health facilities.
Based in the project’s central office in Addis Ababa, and under the supervision of the Finance and Operations Director, the Office Assistant is responsible for providing basic housekeeping, cleaning, and beverage services for the project. S/he also provides some administrative assistance in areas such as filing, photocopying, and stock monitoring.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Janitorial services and office maintenance:
- Clean floors of offices, corridors, and other assigned areas and stairways by sweeping, mopping, waxing and polishing
- Dust, wax, and polish office furniture and empty waste baskets
- Clean restrooms by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, and waxing floors; cleaning, disinfecting, and deodorizing lavatories, commodes, and other restroom fixtures; polishing and cleaning mirrors and water fountains; dusting woodwork; replenishing soap, deodorizers, towels, and toilet tissues
- Report broken windows, malfunctioning equipment, stopped up drains, and leaking plumbing to the Finance and Operations Director
- Perform routine maintenance chores around the office
Store management and administrative tasks:
- Open premises for the work day or close the premises at the end of the work day
- Assist with general photocopying, scanning, filing, and the collating and binding of project reports and training materials, upon request
- Check and replenish stock in supply cupboards, bathrooms and kitchen on a daily basis and inform the Finance and Operations Director of purchasing requirements
- Work with the Finance and Operations team on timely procurement. Maintain the re-order level (ROL) for fast moving items
- Prepare order lists of cleaning supplies, beverages, special office supplies, as necessary when stocks run short. Obtain petty cash advance, purchase necessary supplies, and reports expenses promptly
- Issue note for incoming and outgoing offices supplies and equipment
- Maintain a proper business identification number (BIN) card system for all stored items
- Help deliver project newsletters and reports to USAID and other stakeholder offices
- Assist the Finance and Operations team with inventory
- Provide beverage service (tea, coffee, water) for guests and staff
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Elementary School completion
- High School diploma and prior work experience are desirable
- Ability to communicate in English at a rudimentary level, is desirable
- (0) years of experience and high school diploma OR the equivalent combination of education and experience. Prior work experience is preferable
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
See Job Detail or Apply