Local Notetakers (Ethiopia)
Social Impact, Inc. (SI) is a Washington-based international development management consulting firm. SI’s mission is to improve the effectiveness of international development programs in improving people’s lives. In Ethiopia, SI is implementing the $16.6 million Ethiopia Performance Monitoring and Evaluation Service (EPMES) Activity for the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). EPMES’ core services include providing external evaluation services, performance monitoring support, collaborative learning and adapting (CLA) support, and capacity strengthening in MEL and CLA to USAID/Ethiopia and its implementing partners.
EPMES is developing a roster of notetakers to document events, meetings, and workshops. The ideal candidate will be someone with contextual knowledge and understanding of monitoring and evaluation, and learning (MEL) principles, knowledge of international development (especially USAID), and fluent English listening and writing, and the ability to document and synthesize key points and important take-aways. Specific sectoral knowledge within international development may be an asset for certain tasks.
**Only candidates based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia will be considered. EPMES encourages qualified Ethiopian and expatriate candidates based in Addis Ababa to apply.
The notetaker must have the following requirements:
- The ability to document discussions accurately and synthesize information quickly and effectively based on meeting/workshop objectives
- The ability to maintain high-quality work with minimal supervision and tight deadlines
- Fluency in listening, written, and spoken English, including typing, and impeccable spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Notes should require minimal to no editing.
- Excellent professionalism, including focus and discretion
- Demonstrable experience in English notetaking in a professional environment
- Ability to use Microsoft Word
- Certain tasks may require familiarity or expertise in a given sector, and any areas of expertise should be noted on candidates’ CVs
The notetaker will undertake the following tasks:
- Meet with EPMES staff before events to understand the event objectives, flow, and notetaking priorities
- Take clear, understandable notes based on the event, including documenting notes from the discussion and flipcharts/report outs, and synthesizing key information
- Use correct English grammar, spelling, punctuation, and syntax
- Ensure deliverables are in line with the client’s preferred format (e.g. consistent use of hyphens, capital letters, heading colors, etc.)
- Share draft and final versions of notes, including addressing EPMES and client feedback
- As requested, provide minimal on-site facilitation support (such as distributing handouts or taking photos)
EPMES will provide written requests via email to the notetaker with clear plans for the event (including time, place, duration, and any special needs, such as sectoral expertise) and expectations for notes and the notetaker’s exact role. Exact performance standards will be established at the Purchase Order level.
EPMES will provide written feedback, as necessary, and/or confirm receipt of completed work.
How to apply: