Under the general guidance of the Programs Director (PD) the livelihood officer develops and/or updates livelihoods strategy and consistently assesses the demand and potential for livelihoods enhancement opportunities through value chain commodities for rural households in Glimmer ICD program areas through mentoring and assisting their different livelihood enhancement mechanisms. In addition he/she provides a technical consultation in designing new business ideas, development of documentation and sharing of best practices.
An ideal candidate should have strong experience with conducting and supervising above described activities and excellent communication, time-management, coordination and leadership skills and has a thorough overview of different livelihoods improvement activities through VC commodities, the microcredit/microfinance system, the Rural saving and credit cooperatives and gender related issues and continuously develops his/her knowledge of the subject matter.
RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS:
- Assess the level of existing extension services with respect to the intended livelihoods activities and discuss with local governments if the available services are not adequate;
- Design and formulate diversified livelihoods enhancement programs including micro-irrigation, livestock, petty trade and other feasible on farm and off farm livelihood activities;
- Develop, together with partners, the overall livelihoods program implementation and monitoring strategy and annual work plans and budget;
- Design and develop a strategy for promoting economically viable and socially and environmentally sustainable livelihoods within Glimmer ICDs. The strategy should seek to ensure the involvement of the relevant local government bodies and Glimmer partners and thereby establishment of public/private sector partnerships aimed at supporting the income generating activities for the economic development of the community within the ICDs;
- Conduct technical, economic, social and environmental feasibility studies for the different value chain enterprises.
- Design and develop a strategy for strengthening, capacitating and sustaining of the rural saving and credit cooperatives, (RuSACCos).
- Carryout RuSACCos capacity assessment with respect to their long term sustainability.
- Together with partners and woreda sector experts conduct assessments on performance of value chain commodities implemented in the targeted ICDs.
- Serve as the technical lead for designing, implementing and monitoring all livelihoods diversification, value chain and marketing activities.
- Coordinate and collaborate with partners including private enterprises, community based organizations and NGOs working on livelihood diversification to leverage project resources, avoid duplication of efforts and ensure complementarities.
- Supervise and monitor implementation of value chain activities with a focus on improving crops and livestock diversification, productivity processing and input-output market enhancement.
- Provide technical guidance and capacity building trainings for implementing partners and local institutions.
- Work closely with key stakeholders to coordinate the overall implementation of value chain component of the resilience projects.
- Work with the technical team to map value chain including main actors, flow of products, infrastructure facilities, financial and other related activities with the partners.
- Support the coordination and implementation of all assigned project activities as outlined in the detailed implementation plan in line with Glimmer program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices.
- Monitor and report any challenges and/or gaps identified to inform adjustments to plans and implementation schedules. Assist partners in their efforts to reflect on project experiences.
- Support accountability through coordinating project evaluation activities and assisting partners in their efforts to collect and analyze project data per specified mechanisms and tools. Collaborate with local partner(s) to prepare reports per established reporting schedule.
- Collect information on staff capacity needs and technical assistance needs of partner organizations. Monitor capacity building and technical support activities to ensure effective impact.
- Complete project documentation for assigned activities. Assist with identifying information for case studies and reports on promising practices.
- Provide technical support for the establishment and functionality of Livelihood Groups (LGs); livelihood pathway selection; business plan development; technical training, marketing groups (MGs) formation; organization of multi-stakeholder platform (MSP) meetings; and establishment/strengthening of agro dealers, etc.
- Evaluate and ensure that Livelihood Project proposals from partner organizations adhere to the overall Glimmer policy and livelihoods strategy. S/he advices the country office and Austin on funding the proposed livelihood projects;
- Develop ToR for Value Chain Analyses and Baseline survey Consultancy services to be executed by a 3rd party and review bids and proposals submitted by bidders.
- Review action plans and reports submitted by VCA consultants, and monitor consultants’ works to make sure that VCA is executed as per the ToR, Consultants’ proposals and action plans and agreements signed between Glimmer/partner and the consultants
- Responsible for monitoring, evaluation and reporting of livelihood programs implemented in the various ICD areas and ensure that implementation is in line with the work plan, approved budget and meeting the set livelihood programs objectives
- Strengthen the capacity of beneficiary communities, local government and partner organizations’ staff by organizing trainings; experience sharing visits, mentoring and coaching to enable them implement the program effectively;
- Serve as focal person for partners on livelihood related enquiries and ensure that all enquires are addressed promptly;
- Review and recommend the integration of livelihood program with other Glimmer funded projects for optimization of benefits to the beneficiaries.
- Review periodic reports from partners, monitor and control performances notably on loan disbursement, recovery and revolving. S/he follow and report on overall progresses, arrears, bad loan and outstanding on monthly basis;
- Facilitate the necessary basline surveys, evaluations, impact assessments and documentations pertaining to the programs;
- Undertake regular monitoring of projects implementation, identify execution impediments and recommend possible solutions;
- Collect, organize, update and analyze primary and secondary data relevant to livelihoods program and beneficiary stories on continuous basis.
- Undertake mid-term and terminal evaluation of ICD programs together with other Glimmer and stakeholders’ staff;
- Work in collaboration with Glimmer Compliance Officer to perform program audits
- Work in colaboration with Glimmer Program Officers to ensure execution of livelihoods enhancement activities are well integrated with the entire ICD program
- Report to Operation Director on the status of the livelihood programs as per the reporting requirements of Glimmer and program donors;
- Maintain records of livelihood program, lessons learnt, best practices and share with Country Office and Austin as well as among the partners;
- Facilitate and participate on joint end-review of livelihood projects and recommend on the phasing outs by Glimmer;
- Undertake other duties assigned by the Opertions Director and Glimmer Office.
Must have knowledge of rural Ethiopian context and be capable of understanding the organization, programs, and procedures related to the work Glimmer performs. This person must be detail-oriented and very proactive. The successful candidate will be outgoing and highly organized with strong attention to details, while also having a compassionate and kind spirit.
- MSc degree in Livelihoods, Agricultural economics/extension, rural development, agricultural extension, Cooperative development, economics, or other related fields.
- Eight years of professional experience in implementing and managing livelihoods enhancement programs through value chain analyses out of which at least three years in NGOs;
- Demonstrated experience in project planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation as well as excellent planning and organizational skills
- Understanding of the national policies, strategies and programs of agriculture, finance/micro-finance, business, cooperative development and related sectors;
- Good bakground/exposure to areas such as irrigated agriculture/micro-irrigation, animal hasbandry, petty trade, handicrafts, and development of value chains.
- Proven experience in financial management, inspecting books of accounts and ability to produce financial statements.
- Ability to facilitate and deliver workshops, meetings and training to beneficiary community, partners and other stakeholders;
- Good team player and team builder;
- Fluent in English – both written and spoken
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Cost-consciousness and strong problem-solving skills;
- Basic knowledge of bookkeeping/accounting
- Results oriented, proactive, innovative and improvement driven style
- Ability to self-motivate and self-regulate ownership and development of quality work products;
- Excellent report writing and communication skills;
- Strong computer proficiency with all Microsoft Office products, including expert knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
Attitude and Values:
- Ability to work with individuals and in a team; develop partnerships and maintain current partner relationships;
- Awareness and commitment to Glimmer core values and a compassionate and kind spirit;
- A belief in the potential of all people to succeed if given the right support;
- Efficient multi-tasker who works on own initiative
DUTY STATION : Addis Ababa, with frequent travel to project areas in Glimmer operational regions
HOW TO APPLY
- Interested applicants are invited to send their application to the Finance and Administration Department within 10 consecutive days via:
- E-mail: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
- P.O.Box: 1448 code 1110 OR Submit in person to the Glimmer Office, located at: Megenagna, behind Marathon Motors, RAHEM Buldg, 5th Floor
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- One page summary of experience (positions held), qualification & Training;
- Application cover page
- Copies of credentials
- Originals of credentials will be submitted when asked
See Job Detail or Apply