Vacancy No: IOM-SVN/0027/20
Position Title: IT Intern
Position Grade: Internship
Duty Station: Addis Ababa
Type of Appointment: Three months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: March 29, 2020
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal & External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Under the overall supervision of the Resources Management Officer, and direct supervision of the IT Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for the administration and provision of technical support to the IOM Addis Ababa Local Area Network and end-users of the Mission.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Ensure timely technical support and troubleshooting including: desktop support and assistance, active directory administration.
- Provide assistance and training to staff on the use of ITC standard software, hardware, and other equipment.
- Installation of new hardware including: PC, laptops, servers, printers and software in particular locations.
- Monitor and maintain network services and servers (LAN, WAN, Exchange, Internet etc.) to prevent and minimize downtime.
- Maintain IOM internet and phone packages, network infrastructure and suggest future development, including internet solutions, fixed phone lines, fax lines and mobiles.
- Perform daily monitoring and adequate completion of servers’ backup.
- Maintain the ITC inventory list, including both hardware and licenses.
- Provision of helpdesk support to the communications focal point with updating of website, and any other multimedia project that may be developed.
- Monitor the use of Internet by staff and implementation of ITC guidelines and instructions to prevent abuse.
- Undertake any other duties that may be assigned.
- University Degree in Information Technology/Computer Science or equivalent combination of relevant academic qualifications and extensive progressively responsible technical experience.
- No previous work experience is required.
- Working knowledge of: Windows Server 2008/2012 software in a multi-site environment, Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, TCP/IP Protocol, AD, DHCP, DNS, WINS, Cisco Router Configuration, Windows 8 & 10 administration MS Office 2013 and MS Office 365.
- Experience with configuring and troubleshooting Lenovo, Canon, Kyocera and Cisco Network Devices.
- Thorough knowledge of spoken and written English is required.
- Knowledge of Amharic and other languages spoken in Ethiopia is an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticism
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identifies ways and implements actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application\motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address RECADDIS@IOM.INT, by March 29, 2020 at the latest, referring the position title and vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who does not follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!
See Job Detail or Apply