Intern - Social Sciences
Under the direct supervision of the Director, the intern will carry out the following functions:
•Assist the Director with managing the work schedule and follow up with sections on tasks assigned by the Director;
•Assist with work across all sections including compiling information, collecting data, undertaking analysis, developing briefing notes and proof reading documents when required;
•Assist with organizing and coordinating meetings, workshops, conferences, and preparing coverage reports;
•Assist with developing press releases, and generating and disseminating materials on social media;
•Perform other duties assigned by the Director to ensure the delivery of the Division programme of work.
•Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
•Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
•Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
•Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience;
•Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
•Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
•Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise and is willing to learn from others;
•Places team agenda before personal agenda;
•Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
•Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning & Organizing:
•Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
•Identifies priority activities and assignments and adjusts priorities as required;
•Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
•Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
•Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary;
•Uses time efficiently
To qualify for an internship under the United Nations Internship Programme, the following conditions must be met:
1) Applications must meet one of the following educational requirements: (a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or (c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation;
2) Be computer literate in standard software applications;
Applicants are not required to have professional work experience for participation in the United Nations Internship Programme.
Applicants shall include all past work experience and IT skills in the Personal History Profile.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Fluency in English is required for the Internship Programme. Knowledge of another UN language, preferably French is an advantage.
Potential Candidates will be contacted by the hiring manager directly for further consideration.
A complete online application (Cover Note and Personal History Profile) is required.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
- Title of degree you are currently pursuing
- Graduation Date (when will you be graduating from the programme)
- List the IT skills and programmes that you are proficient in
- List your top three areas of interest/department preferences
- Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme
In your Personal History Profile, please also include all past work experience, IT skills, and
Due to a high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be
Please note that this is an on-going advertisement until January 2021. Successful
candidates may be contacted at any time during the posting period or shortly thereafter.
Other Skills and Requirements
1) Have a demonstrated and keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
2) Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes a willingness to understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
See Job Detail or Apply