Intern - Finance Assistant
Duties and Responsibilities
Support implementation of financial strategies, in full compliance of UN Women rules, regulations, policies, and recording and reporting systems
- Perform duties in full compliance with UN Women financial regulations and rules, policies and standard operating procedures, including internal controls;
- Review and verify financial transactions, activities, and documentation; taking corrective actions as needed and reporting any unusual activities;
- Assist in the monitoring of ?financial exceptions reports for unusual activities or transaction, investigate anomalies and? present recommendations for actions/decisions;
- Provide support to collect, verify and present information and data for use in the planning of financial resources and the formulation of the Country Office ?programme work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements and execution modalities;
Support the preparation and administration of ?budgets in full compliance of UN Women rules, regulations, policies, and recording and reporting systems
- Assist in the formulation of the budget, controlling allotments, monitoring expenditures, and preparing revisions according to the needs of the CO;
- Track the appropriate and timely use of financial resources;?
- Undertake corrective actions on un-posted vouchers, including vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions and unapproved vouchers. Respond to RO /HQ requests to resolve financial data issues;
- Assist in the preparation of VAT claim/reimbursements with adequate documentation support;
Provide finance support to the Programme and Operations team
- Review accounts receivables for UN Women projects and follow-up with project managers and staff, follow up deposits creation in Atlas and their application to AR pending items;
- Prepare PO and non-PO vouchers for development projects;
- Record and post transactions in Atlas, travel claims, MPOs, and other entitlements;
- Assist in monitoring monthly over-expenditure of budgets and follow up with Budget Owner;
- Assist in monitoring regularly transactions posted to projects ensuring actual expenditure has been recorded against correct budget category and activity, take timely corrective actions as required;
- Provide inputs and take necessary actions to facilitate timely financial project closure;
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Strong knowledge of financial rules and regulations and accounting principles;
- Strong knowledge and application skills of IT tools and understanding of management systems;
- Strong knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages;
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems;
- Ability to administer and execute financial and accounting processes and transactions.
Required Skills and Experience
- Recently graduated or pending graduation in a bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or business administration
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation, or Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program which is part of a degree programme and undertake the internship as part of the program requirements.
- Knowledge in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required;
- Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
Interns who are not in receipt of financial support from other sources such as universities or other institutions will receive a stipend from UN Women to partially subsidize their basic living costs for the duration of the internship.
- All applicants must submit a completed and signed P.11 form with their application
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we can ONLY contact successful candidates.
- Successful candidate will be required to provide proof of enrollment in a valid health insurance plan at the duty station of the internship, proof of school enrollment or degree, a scanned copy of their passport/national ID and a copy of a valid visa (as applicable).
See Job Detail or Apply