Job Title: Health Officer
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
The Health Officer is responsible for planning, implementation and monitoring of the IRC’s Health (HIV/AIDS and RH) related interventions in the assigned refugee camp-. The Health officer reports to the camp manager in the camp and technically supervised by the Health Manager based in Jijiga. The officer coordinates IRC’s HIV/AIDs and RH services with other actors and the incumbent is also responsible for ensuring adherence to the implementation of program activities according to nationally accepted standards.
- Ensure that the goals and objectives of the project are met as per the project proposal, work plan and M & E Plan
- Ensure that all specified HIV/AIDs and RH/FP activities are implemented in the refugee camp and the surrounding local communities.
- Liaises and creates strong linkages and partnerships with other agencies, zonal, and Woreda stakeholders implementing HIV/AIDs and RH prevention and control services in the targeted area.
- Implement activities focusing on prevention and behavior change using community-based structures.
- Plan training and sensitization sessions on HIV/AIDs and RH preventions to the health providers and other beneficiaries.
- Represent IRC in coordination meetings, workshops, task force meetings, etc in the respective refugee camp.
- Work closely with youth health club members on awareness raising and condom distribution activities.
- Ensure establishment and maintaining quality data management system for both RH and HIV/AIDS projects
- Keep health program activity records both in soft and hard copies and provide activity reports as required by IRC and the donor timely.
- Ensures that HIV/AIDs and RH/FP interventions are utilized per the standard protocols, policies and guidelines as prescribed by the MoH and WHO.
- Helps in conducting workshops, trainings and presentations on HIV/AIDs prevention and control and RH activities for Woreda health staff as per the project description
- Follow all IRC’S standard grant Management tools as recommended by the Addis based health unit and M & E unit
- Ensure that all activities are implemented according to the work plan and that targets are met.
- Work closely with the Health Manager in management of the grant budget
- Raise PRs as required after discussion with colleagues.
- Track expenditure on a monthly basis and report appropriately.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Monitor the implementation of HIV/AIDs and RH activities in the camp.
- Ensure that the stared goals and objectives of the program are met.
- Ensure establishment and maintain quality data management system for both RH and HIV/AIDS projects
Human Resource Management
- The Health Officer will be responsible for the management and supervision of the Health Social Workers in the camp.
- He/ She will ensure that staff performance evaluation is conducted on time and in a standard quality manner that contributes to the staff development plan.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Receives technical support from the Health Manger in Jijiga and the Addis health Technical Unit.
- Beneficiary communities, Woreda HAPCO, Woreda Health Offices, Woreda health facilities, and other NGOs
- BSC in public health
- 3 years of relevant experience with the first degree and 2 years of relevant experience plus post graduate degree.
- Experience working in preventive RH and HIV/AIDs Refugee Programming is preferable.
- Good project management skills, ability to plan, organize and supervise implementation of community-based RH and HIV/AIDs projects.
- Demonstrated qualifications, experience, or training in community mobilization and community health promotion.
- Experience in organizing and facilitating training
- Excellent written and spoken English
- NGO experience is a plus.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure, long work hours and high workload.
- Excellent communication skills-verbal and written ones. Communication in English is a key requirement. Knowledge of Somali language is an advantage.
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible, and punctual.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work autonomously when required.
- Ability to constructively address gaps and weaknesses.
See Job Detail or Apply