Finance Assistant / Finance Officer (Afar, Dire Dawa, Harari, Somali Reg. Team) - HFIP Ethiopia
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
The USAID-funded Health Financing Improvement Program seeks to strengthen the health financing functions and systems to support universal health coverage of quality primary health care (PHC) services for Ethiopian citizens. Project objectives include increasing domestic resource mobilization for enhanced provision of quality PHC services, streamlining pooling of risk-sharing/insurance mechanisms for wider access to PHC services with reduced financial barriers, facilitating strategic purchasing of health services from public and private health providers, and improving governance, management and evidence-generation for health financing reforms and health facilities.
Under the supervision of the Afar, Dire Dawa, Harari, and Somali Regional Team Director, the Finance Officer is responsible for performing the financial and accounting operations for the Afar, Dire Dawa, Harari, and Somali regional office, including its satellite offices. S/he also conducts some operations tasks and supervises the office’s Program Assistant. The position is based in Dire Dawa.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Record expenditures, income, and any other related transactions, in the books of accounts. Assist in ensuring that the books of accounts are accurate, current, and audit-ready at all times
- Prepare and monitor payment vouchers and invoices, and corresponding checks/payments
- Prepare payroll and other regular payments
- Prepare accurate monthly bank reconciliations
- Manage and monitor petty cash payments and reconciles petty cash balances
- Prepare monthly cash requests, and promptly advise the Regional Director and Finance and Operations Director of any action required to cover estimated costs
- Prepare accurate monthly financial reports and submits them to the project’s central office finance team for inclusion in the monthly ROV in accordance with Abt Associates procedures and policies
- Develop, manage, and monitor the field office budget
- Keep a register of fixed assets and maintain an easy cross reference system of all government property
- Ensure that periodic inventory of the fixed assets (property) of the company is conducted
- Assist in the management of subcontracts/sub-grants, as needed
- Assist the project’s central office finance team with procurements
- Inspect deliveries, in accordance with the terms of purchase orders or subcontract agreements
- Supervise the office’s Program Assistant
- Adhere to USAID regulations, Abt Associates policies and procedures, and Ethiopian laws for all of the above
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting, or other relevant field
- 2 years of relevant professional experience in program accounting and booking, and developing and managing budgets. Experience in operations and/or logistics a plus
- USAID experience and knowledge of FARs and AIDARs is highly desirable
- Experience in inventory management is desirable
- A self-starter that is able to perform independently is preferred
- Fluency in Amharic and English language proficiency is required
- Computer literacy (MS Word, MS Excel)
- (3+) years of experience and high school diploma OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
See Job Detail or Apply