Requisition ID: req8540
Job Title: Driver
Sector: Supply Chain
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Aleta Wondo, Ethiopia
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
The IRC has been working in Ethiopia since 2000, currently working in six regions in providing relief services to refugees, victims of drought, and war affected populations. IRC Hawassa FO is one of the field offices working in SNNPR since 2005.
The driver will be responsible for proper handling of the vehicle assigned to him and giving service in accordance with IRC vehicle operation policy and procedures.
This position reports to supply chain assistant-warehouse and will have the following responsibilities.
Responsibility 1: Proper driving
- The driver is expected to drive 80kms/hour on asphalt road and 60kms/hour on non asphalt roads
- The driver is expected to drive in complete compliance with traffic laws and regulations
- The driver is expected to drive in normal mood and mind, not under influence of any type of drug or liquor
- The driver is expected to have with him valid driving license always
- The driver is expected to use safety belt while driving
- The driver is expected not to use mobile phones while driving
Responsibility 2: Safety equipment and tools
- The driver is expected to ensure presence of safety equipment and tools in the vehicle
Responsibility 3: Vehicle Maintenance
- Makes timely request for 5000Kms, and 10,000kms service
- Makes timely request for minor maintenance as necessary
- Makes follow up on maintenance at the garages
- Returns all old parts that are replaced during maintenance
Responsibility 4: Maintenance of vehicle tidiness
- Ensures internal and external tidiness of the vehicle assigned
- Ensures that seat covers are clean and properly fixed
Responsibility 5: Documentation and record keeping
- The driver is expected to properly complete log sheets
- The driver is expected to complete vehicle operation report formats
- The driver is expected complete Spare parts request form
- The driver is expected to immediately complete and submit incident report and police report in case of accident
Responsibility 6: General Procedure maintenance
- The driver is expected not to give ride to non-staff person without prior approval of the FC
- The driver is expected not to escort non-staff without approval of the FC
- The driver ensures no drug (chat) is chewed in IRC vehicle that is assigned to him
Responsibility 7: Vehicle utilization
- The driver ensures that the vehicle assigned to him is used for IRC activities only
- The driver is responsible to ensure there is a prior approval for using IRC vehicle assigned to him for non-IRC activities.
- Four years relevant work experience for High school Graduate.
- Three years of experience for TVET graduated.
- 3rd grade valid license and other mechanical trainings are considered as an asset.
- Must have good knowledge of both spoken and written English, and safe driving ability and strictly adhering to IRC’s driving and vehicle management as well as government regulations.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven Ability to work under pressure.
- NGO experience is plus.
- Adaptability: working in a multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent mechanical know how and skills.
See Job Detail or Apply