Delivery Unit Manager
Delivery Unit Manager
Term of Employment: One year with possibility of extension
Duty Station(s): Addis Ababa
Required Number: One
Salary & Benefits: Competitive
Application Deadline: March 27, 2020
The Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) is a strategy and delivery-oriented government agency created to help accelerate the growth and transformation of the country’s agriculture sector. The ATA envisions that, by 2025, smallholder farmers are commercialized with greater incomes, inclusiveness, resilience and sustainability, contributing to Ethiopia’s achievement of middle-income country status.
The agency focuses on two primary national approaches to catalyze agricultural transformation. First, we support the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock Resources (MoA), its affiliate institutions, and other partners to identify and address systemic bottlenecks within an Agricultural Transformation Agenda. Second, we support Regional Governments to accelerate development of high-priority commodity value chains in clearly defined geographic clusters, through the Agricultural Commercialization Clusters (ACC) Initiative.
Our major activities include conducting strategic and analytical studies, providing technical implementation support, coordinating platforms to better integrate partners and projects, and designing and directly leading a number of implementation projects. Our headquarters are in Addis Ababa, and we have regional offices in Amhara, Oromia, SNNP, and Tigray regional offices, allowing us to work closely with a wide range of public, private and development sector partners across the country.
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great team work to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
The Delivery Unit Manager leads planning and execution effectiveness; tracking and monitoring performance; reporting and escalation; problem solving and capacity building within the Delivery Unit. The Manager will manage a senior data and reporting officer and senior associate and work directly with Transformation Agenda Deliverable (TAD) owners and implementers within the MoA to ensure meaningful planning and target setting; continuous monitoring and tracking performance; timely and accurate reporting, and rigorous and practical problem solving and capacity building. In addition, the Manager will lead provision of analytical support to senior leadership on high priority requests, including trend analysis, strategic planning and/or policy analysis.
The Delivery Unit Manager will report to the Head of the Delivery Unit and work with the Program Assistant and a team technical expert (TA Advisors and Specialists). The Delivery Unit is part of the implementation support vertical at the ATA, which also includes analytics, evaluation and learning, cross cutting initiatives, and project management teams.
- Establish robust annual collaborative planning, target-setting, budgeting, and risk identification and mitigation processes with transformation agenda deliverables owners and implementers
- Develop regular performance monitoring routines with senior leadership, TAD owners and implementers initiative owners and relevant internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage the design and roll out of enhanced planning, project management and reporting tools, processes and systems to track and report on progress of agricultural transformation agenda Deliverables’ priority activities.
- Strengthen execution and day-to-day project and activity management capacity of DU team and MoA staff to ensure effective delivery of transformation agendas.
- Proactively identify and prioritize key issues and bottlenecks for TAD implementation, through discussions with implementing teams, reviewing reports and data analysis.
- Lead problem solving and solution development with the DU team, both for specific TADs and for high priority requests from MoA senior officials (Minister and State Ministers).
- Coordinate Ad-hoc problem solving on strategic issues for the Delivery Unit Team in collaboration with Transformation Agenda Advisors and Specialists.
- Collaborate with TA advisors and specialists within the DU team, project management, learning and evaluation, cross cutting initiatives, and analytics teams within the ATA implementation support vertical, other ATA relevant verticals or outside consultants as needed to solve more complex issues.
- Manages and provide strategic capacity building support and training materials development on planning, tracking && monitoring, activity management / execution, reporting and problem-solving.
- Manages the production of value-added reports for decision-making through analysis and synthesis of data, and provision of recommendations to asks/challenges: strengthen preparation, quality control and close follow up of activity reporting by DU specialists and ad visors.
- Support the Head of Delivery Unit to engage and align with senior stake holders at the MoA and its affiliated institutions.
- Manage senior data and reporting officer and senior associate, supporting them with work planning and prioritization, clearing roadblocks, and skill building.
- BA/BSc or MA/MSc (MA/MSc preferred) in business management, business administration, project management economics, statistics, development studies or other relevant fields of study.
- More than 8 years (for Bachelors) or 6 years (for Masters) of relevant experience
- working in project management, strategy, business development, management consulting, project design or other relevant field, in the public, private and NGO sectors.
- Experience in both design/strategy and implementation/operations required. Experience in delivery management is desired.
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills, with experience applying these for both strategy and implementation/operations.
- Strong team player with excellent relationship management, capacity building, facilitation, training and presentation skills, and a passion for change and delivery.
- Experience navigating complex organizations with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Passion for improving the lives of smallholder farmers.
- Self-starter with strong motivation, ownership and commitment to drive transformation.
- Can act as a champion for change and can effectively support change management efforts.
- Strong set of personal values including integrity, honesty and desire to be of service.
- Very strong skills with Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access).
- Fluency in English required, with Amharic a plus
We invite all candidates meeting the required qualifications to submit (i) a cover letter and (ii) CV (maximum 3 pages) to https://ift.tt/2YfbfuK
It is mandatory to mention the position title in the subject line of your application email.
Please DO NOT submit scans of educational and experience certificates with your application.
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
See Job Detail or Apply