Job Title: Communication Coordinator
Location: Addis Ababa, AA, ET
Company: Plan International
About Plan International
Plan International is an independent non-profit organization that advances children’s well-being and equality for girls. Working in building powerful partnerships for children for over 75 years and present in 70 countries, Plan International strives for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children while working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners
Dimensions of Role
- Reports to the Head of Influencing, Partnership and Communication on country communication activities and has no direct reports.
- Has no delegated authority to approve Program Outlines and payments
Key End Results and typical Responsibilities: See Section 7b
“What” is done and “why”, but not “actions” or “how”; include indicators for success
Communications - Social Media/Network engagement/Content Planning and production
- Collect and compile success stories, best practices and case stories from Program Areas and Thematic area, ensure consistent framing of messages and share with internal and external audiences
- Manage and produce written and visual/multimedia content for email listserv, website, and social media networks to raise the visibility of Plan International Ethiopia
- Develop and share regular content for Facebook, Twitter, , and other social media platforms
- Plan and manage projects that use visuals, video, and/or multimedia storytelling to support Plan International work. Potential projects could include producing short web videos or infographics on timely issues, preparing content for visibility products.
- Manage creation and selection of high quality pictures for print and electronic communications and share with user friendly system and tools.
- Support Program Areas in ensuring adherence to communication policies, protocols, standards and brand compliance
- Assist in the facilitation of information sharing of Plan Ethiopia’s proud moments locally and internationally through bulletins, magazines, Comms alerts and other forms of media
Communications - Media Relations
- Build relationships with media outlets and key communications partners that will lead to mainstream media coverage of the Plan International Ethiopia events.
- Track news coverage of the Plan International Ethiopia and its key issues.
- Respond to media requests in a timely manner in consultation with the Head of Influencing, Partnership and Communication
- Work with program team members to generate and release media advisories, press releases, and statements and proactively pitch outlets around key issues.
- Manage and facilitate any Comms mission and events that the influencing, Partnership and communication department undertake
- Train children facilitators and participants on radio program production and information management, ensure well function of child-led media clubs in selected PAs
- Develop and incorporate new communications tools and creative disseminations strategies to strengthen the Plan International Ethiopia programming.
- Keep track of current issues and strategies in the Child Rights Sector to leverage opportunities for Plan International Ethiopia communications.
- Contribute to the establishment of knowledge & information management systems where the necessary Country Program Information is well documented and shared internally and externally as necessary.
- Support the implementation of new communications initiative with regular review of the program audiences and the communication channels to reach each audience
- Provide opportunities for children to participate in media related programs to promote the rights of children
- Shall perform any other duties as assigned by the Head of Influencing, Partnership and Communication and/or the CD.
- Plan, promote and implement low cost events that showcase Plan International Ethiopia services and mandates, successes and achievements; and increase Child rights awareness through public information.
Promote Plan’s child protection & gender mainstreaming policies and procedures among partners, communities, and associates with whom Plan is working
Dealing with Problems: See Section 7c
Application of knowledge required for the role, complexity of problems handled & the degree of investigation, analysis, & creative thinking required to solve them.
Communications and Working Relationships: See Section 7d
Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
- All Plan Ethiopia staff to facilitate documentation and sharing of innovative programming practices (High)
- Functional networks within Plan
- Plan stakeholders to facilitate documentation and sharing of program outcomes and experiences (medium)
- The external media for branding Plan (medium)
Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives: See Section 7e
- A Degree in Communication, Journalism, Mass Communication or Public Relations, English Language and Literature or related field from a recognized educational institution.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a similar role
- Must have current knowledge of the communications and or media field
- Proficiency in MS office tools, publisher, Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop.
- A team player with high integrity& interpersonal skills
- Good analytical, communication & problem solving skills
- Strong documentation and presentation skills
- Strong team building and motivational skills
- Negotiation, facilitating and influencing skills
- Proficient in computer skills and use of relevant applications,
- Energetic and motivated individual
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Results focused and articulate
Physical Environment and Demands: See Section 7f
May be “typical office environment”; note if heavy lifting, climbing, excess travel, etc.
- Typically office environment with 33% extensive travel in program areas and minimal external travel
Level of contact with children
The position will be based at the Country Office and level of contact with children is High
The closing date for the application is March 20, 2019.
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
- Applications and CVs written in English will be accepted and
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
More information about Plan International can be found on http:// plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children's rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.
See Job Detail or Apply