- Kombolcha, Ethiopia
- Contract type: National employment contract
Horti-LIFE Cluster Coordinator - Amhara Region - Kombolcha
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization. Founded in the Netherlands 50 years ago, we have built a long-term, local presence in more than 26 of countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America. Our global team of local and international advisors work with local partners to equip communities, businesses, and organizations with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services – empowering them to break the cycle of poverty and guide their own development.
SNV, Netherlands Development Organization, is operating in Ethiopia since the 1970s. Currently, SNV is working in eight regional states and the two city administrations of Ethiopia, providing technical assistance and program implementation in Agriculture, WASH, and Energy Sectors. SNV is an open and learning organization that focuses on improving the lives of Ethiopian through a market based approach inclusive of women and youth. In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change including strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects.
For more information on SNV's operations, visit our website: www.snvworld.org.
Overview of the project.
Horti-LIFE is funded by the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands (EKN) and implemented by SNV-Ethiopia in cooperation with the Ministry of Agriculture. The aim is to increase the productivity and food safety in the horticultural sector by supporting smallholder farmers, rural SMEs and supporting institutions. The second phase of the project (2019-2023) works via the following components:
Summary of the position
The Cluster Coordinator is (in consultation with the Regional Manager), to prepare annual and quarterly cluster plans, oversee project coordination, monitor progress and prepares progress reports to Regional BOA and BOFED and contributes to monthly, quarterly and annual plans & reports for the donor and SNV.
- Staff Management
- Financial & Administrative Management
- Monitoring, Evaluation & Reporting
- Networking, Learning & Representation
Contract Type: Local
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment.
- A MSc degree (or equivalent) in a relevant field (horticulture, plant science, agricultural economics, agricultural extension,). A BSc can be sufficient with an excellent track record of > 12 years and good references
- Solid knowledge on horticultural production; especially pest management. In fruit clusters practical experience with fruit production is crucial; in vegetable cluster the same counts for vegetable production.
- Sound knowledge of horticulture extension system
- Familiar with gender concepts and mainstreaming
- Familiar with national strategies, functioning of government/ public sector, private sector and farmers organizations.
- Project management and planning, analytical skills combined with a practical and pragmatic approach oriented towards lasting results.
- Knowledge and experience with participatory techniques, coaching, networking, learning, alliance building and team building
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience in planning & implementation of agricultural/horticultural extension service and value chain development.
- Broad experience in capacity building, extension service, facilitation of multi-stakeholder processes, farmer organization strengthen, organizational learning, change processes, and strategy formulation
- Experience in working on gender issues is an advantage.
Necessary skill and attitude needed
- Energetic and motivating attitude
- Pragmatic, good and patient negotiator and solution orientated approach
- Team player with networking abilities.
- Fluent in English (official working language of SNV) and local languages
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Computer skills.
- Ability to work in a challenging and dynamic context.
- Motorbike license
How to Apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and letter of motivation clearly indicating preferred region/location and demonstrate that you speak the local language before or on 20 March 2020.
See Job Detail or Apply