Job Title: Civil Engineer
People in Need is a non-governmental, non-profit organization founded on the ideals of humanism, freedom, equality and solidarity. We consider human dignity and freedom to be fundamental values. We believe that people anywhere in the world should have the right to make decisions about their lives and to share the rights expressed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
The People in Need organization was established in 1992 by a group of Czech war correspondents who were no longer satisfied with merely relaying information about ongoing conflicts and began sending out aid. It gradually became established as a professional humanitarian organization striving to provide aid in troubled regions and support adherence to human rights around the world.
Throughout our over 25 years of its existence, People in Need has become one of the biggest non-profit organizations in Central Europe. In addition to humanitarian aid and human rights, it now also targets education and helps people living in social exclusion.
We are part of Alliance 2015, a strategic network of seven European non-governmental organizations engaged in humanitarian aid and development projects. This collaboration increases effectiveness, both in working in the target countries and in campaigns aimed at influencing the attitudes of politicians and the general public in Europe. In our over 16 years operation in Ethiopia, has focused on projects in five main areas of interest: Education and Social protection, Environment, Livelihood and Agriculture, Water, sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and Emergency programs.
More information at www.peopleinneed.cz or https://ift.tt/2Ufo45s.
PIN currently invites applicants for the position of: Civil Engineer position for specific project entitled “CHANGE: Improving Access to education for most marginalized girls in Ethiopia (November 2018-October 2023)”.
Duration of employment: One Year(Until March 31,2021)
Main responsibilities of the position:
Civil Engineer is responsible for field level activities of the project entitled “CHANGE: Improving Access to education for most marginalized girls in Ethiopia (November 2018-October 2023)”. The position requires supervising construction of contracted or on-force construction and rehabilitation of Civil works with unskilled and skilled labours in PIN operational areas. The position also requires proper management of materials, equipment and other resources under the programs and reporting periodically to supervisors.
Under the supervision of the Engineering Coordinator; administer contractual issues and deal with supplier, representing PIN following the BID process in collaboration with the Procurement department adhering to the organizational and National law. Participate in technical assessment, proposal development and assessment for new emerging projects. Provide technical support during various manuals, construction standard and checklists preparation together with the technical advisor and making sure it is applied in the field.
Responsible to provide technical guidance on Building construction activities and other programs prepare technical designs and BoQs; and supervise construction.
- Design construction plans and the resources available for completion of the project (labour, equipment, materials).
- Analyse technical data and calculate the human resources required.
- Apply all safety measures on site and promote safety culture among the ranks throughout the organization.
- Serve as the main point of contact for partners and arrange feedback in respective project sites.
- Ensure realistic work plan is undertaken and make any necessary changes to agreed deadlines and budgets whenever required.
- Set up and track projects using appropriate documents.
- To ensure that the allocation of resources is supported by appropriate program departments and project plans.
- Manage the construction effort and represent the organization with Stakeholders and official in each respective project.
- To plan, develop and organize the construction effort to formulate the most cost-effective plan to timely completion within budget and to implement the execution of that plan.
- Responsible for implementation of the scope of work as related to construction/ fabrication, in conformance with project specifications, Scope of Work, and in accordance with the approved Project Schedule.
- Monitor and report to the respective Project Manager on project details, including progress, risks and opportunities in a timely manner for the assigned construction projects.
- Ensures all changes to specifications, work scope and drawings are documented,
- Monitor construction productivity and schedule performance and investigate reasons for less than satisfactory performance. Provide recommendations and institute measures for improvement by modification to operating procedures/work instructions.
- Follows and implements provisional acceptance and final acceptance of the projects on time and through which it assures the retained money collection together with Contract Division.
- Supervise construction, maintenance and building renovation projects by coordinating the work of government tradesmen and/or outside contractors on a particular project and ensuring that necessary men, materials and equipment are on the job when required.
- Inspect all phases of building construction to ensure compliance with plans, specifications and regulations.
- Prepare progress reports and recommend progress payments for completed work on projects inspected.
- Prepare estimates of quantities and construction costs.
- Prepares costs estimates, establishes the scope, schedule and budget for construction projects; negotiates and manages construction contracts together with the technical and infrastructure Engineer.
- Together with the Senior technical and infrastructure Engineer reviews construction specifications for compliance with Organization standards; interprets specifications and District policies and initiates or reviews change orders; prepares periodic project status reports
- Represents the organization with suppliers or contractors
- Acting as a focal person in Bid process and bridging the program with Procurement department for technical matters
- Prepares specifications, related contract documents and Requests for Proposals, Lead on evaluation and selection of contractors
- Together with the technical Engineer, support in administering contracts, bidding, and oversees the day-to-day progress of contractors. Prepares monthly progress payments, contract change orders; interpretation of project plans and specifications and coordinates final inspection(s).
- Organise and coordinate site supervisors and skilled labourers on-site.
- Keep the line manager informed of all site activities with daily summaries, weekly reports and regular meetings.
- B.Sc. in Civil Engineering,Construction Engineering and other related fields of studies field From Accredited University with a Minimum of 4 years of work experience on similar position.
- Hand on Job, practical skill and knowledge of the construction industry in Ethiopia
- Able to use Cutting- edge technologies for example Auto CAD, CIVIL 3D, Archi-CAD, Sketch UP, MS Project and/or Primavera
- Sound technical report writing skill and highly interactive with Micro soft office
- Equipped with various training (Personal or hosted by any organization) on respective subject matters
- Experience in NGO is advantageous
- Coordination and Facilitation Skills
- Good communication, time management, work under stress and deadlines
- knowledge of spoken & written Amharic and English
- 3 strong references (will be crosschecked)
How to Apply
Interested applicants for the position should fill the application form and send their CV and Cover letter as soon as possible via following the link
https://ift.tt/2JgmfyR until April 09,2020.
Should any information needed please contact using: email@example.com
Please note: PIN does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: https://ift.tt/2Z1WZmb)
Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
See Job Detail or Apply