Requisition ID: req8615
Job Title: Camp Manager
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Tirkide Refugee Camp, Gambella, Ethiopia
Summary Statement of Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Field Coordinator, the Camp Manger responsible for overall management of all IRC programs in Tierkidi refugee camp. S/he will provide supports to camp based staff and will be responsible for staff management, grant management and program reporting; monitoring of camp activities, staff safety, security and health including ensuring compliance to all IRC procedures, assisting in assessing program quality and effectiveness and providing guidance and support to program and operation staff in camp (s). S/he will also work closely with key donors, monitoring agencies and other Implementing partners (IPs), refugee and local government representatives (formal and informal) and service providers.
Detailed Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Ensure camp level procurement system that complies to IRC and donor protocols. This involves effective communication and working relations with program managers, support sector heads and Field Coordinator to ensure planned and timely procurement and payments.
- Ensure the supply chain team works with procurement plans (monthly, quarterly), authorized and ATC cleared suppliers.
- Approve Purchase Requests (PRs) for all camp programs as per the authority threshold and review those PRs beyond the authority threshold prior Field Coordinator approval.
- Verify/approve all camp-based payments /purchase requests regarding daily laborers or monthly incentives, etc for the camp within the given threshold
- Monitor camp level warehouse management (using warehouse monitoring tools); Also Monitor control and use of IRC supplies and assets, and report to field office regarding any misuse, theft and damage of IRC properties.
- Approve store release (SRs) for all camp programs’ request by direct supervises (program and operation staff) as per IRC warehouse management protocols
- Conduct monthly spot checks and ensure conduct of quarterly cycle count checks by staff from responsible sectors
- In collaboration with the supply chain team and program managers, ensure planned and equitable allocation of IRC resources (facilities, equipment, vehicles) and ensure that supply chain team maintains operations and maintenance protocols
- In collaboration with supply chain team and program managers, ensure the conduct and documentation of asset/equipment survey as per set timeline; submit asset disposal and stock adjustment plans to the field office.
Human Resource Management:
- Assist the field office in making sure that the IRC WAY, the IRC personnel policy, IRC refugee staff policy and IRC mandatory reporting policies (MRPs) are respected and practiced properly in close collaboration with field SMT
- Line-manage camps-based sector staff and ensure all staff performance objectives are set timely and staff have clear understanding about their roles and responsibilities.
- Maintain system and IRC best practices for regular staff performance evaluation and assist the office in developing a framework for staff career development (coaching and training).
- Ensure camp based staff are deployed timely by applying standard procedures for staff recruitment.
- Provide counseling and support in resolution of employee workplace conflict. Propose and/or take corrective measures within IRC’s personnel policies when necessary.
- Authorize staff in the mandated camp when travelling out of their duty stations for IRC businesses as per the IRC personnel policy, procedures and guidelines.
- Ensure appropriate cash management system is implemented in the camps. This includes cash transfer and handling of the camp level petty cash and cash in office mechanisms.
- Facilitate timely submission of cash projection by respective program and support sector representatives, refugee staff payment sheet, construction labor cost and daily laborers’ sheet, etc. for timely action by the field finance department.
- Approve all payments (procurement, travel disbursements, refugee staff incentive, daily laborers sheet) up to the camp manager’s threshold
- Verify/review all payments beyond the camp manager authority level before they are reviewed by finance and approved by the Field Coordinator/SMT in Addis
- Review and ensure camp based financial reports are accurate and meet IRC and donor reporting requirements.
- Ensure, in coordination with Field Coordinator and TCs, all IRC projects are designed in accordance with IRC SAP and that implementation follows the core programming principles.
- Oversee preparation of activity and spending plans for all grants by program managers
- Ensure quarterly procurement plans are developed and executed to meet donor requirements.
- Provide administrative support and camp oversight on program implementation on daily basis; assist staff to develop sector specific monitoring and evaluation plans
- Coordinate and facilitate grant opening, review/closing, and BVA review meetings as per agreed timeline in collaboration with program managers and sector reps
- Assist all programs managers to ensure the conduct of planned trainings, workshops and awareness raising events for beneficiaries as required.
- Assist program staff in developing new projects and program expansion for refugees and local/host communities
- Assist program staff to ensure beneficiary communities are involved in the design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of all IRC programs.
- Follow up the implementation of field level mandatory reporting timeline (sector reports, management, donor and government reports).
- Contribute to IRC’s institutional learning, for example in relation to new ways of planning and project implementation
Representation and Coordination:
- Represent IRC from duty station at the mandated refugee camp (s): The tasks include serve as focal person for any information shared with or received from camp level agencies and surrounding community representatives; prepare and report required updates and regular reports on all IRC activities to agencies and donor (s); facilitate grant monitoring/evaluations in collaboration with sector managers; assist the field office in facilitating donor monitoring visits.
- Actively pursue good coordination and working relationships with relevant actors, government (ARRA, local administration), Donors (UNHCR) and Implementing partners (IPs), refugees’ representatives (RCC, WOAs) and host/local community representatives and informal leaders.
- Participate at camp level inter-agency meetings; facilitate regular meetings with camp leaders, camp level IPs, local authorities and other community-based associations as necessary to foster good will and support for all program activities.
- Maintains office records and, disseminate information and correspondence from field office, IRC Addis, IPs, donors to all operation and program staff in the camps and vice-versa.
Safety, Security and Health:
- Assist the field office in updating field security management plan, in facilitating security related training to camp based staff and implementation of the plan
- Monitor security/safety situation in the designated camp context, and ensure incidents are reported to the Field Coordinator for further analysis, planning and implementation of safety and mitigation measures
- Develop/Adapt standard local context specific vehicle safety policies and assure that they are consistently implemented in collaboration with field logistics focal person.
- Conduct regular discussions with key staff to identify and determine approaches to address staff stress levels and sense of security.
- Ensure all camp-based staff understand IRC Ethiopia Health and Insurance Policy and utilize insurance provisions in collaboration with field Admin/HR person
- Assess, design and implement different ways of improving IRC camp environment in consultation with the camp staff and field office. Adapt and develop site specific IRC compound management protocols
- Encourage key staff to participate in problem solving and, in the decision-making process. Monitor and address work related conflicts in consultation with the field coordinator
- Exercise reasonable level of delegation of roles to key staff
- Maintain a system to strengthen inter-departmental collaboration through facilitating action-oriented sector specific and staff regular meetings.
- Preserve close, open and professional relationships with all actors
Key Working Relationships:
- The Camp Manager will directly report to the Field Coordinator, and S/he works in collaboration with fellow IRC camp managers, and field level support sector heads.
- Education: University Degree or post graduate degree in Water Resource Engineering, Civil Engineering, or Hydraulic Engineering, Hydrology, Environmental Health, Rural development, Management and related social studies.
- Years of Experience: Minimum of Five years of relevant work experience for first degree or Four years’ experience plus post graduate degree
- At least one-year experience in senior level management.
- Communication in English and Amharic. Local languages knowledge is an asset
- Proven management, proposal and report writing, excellent representation and excellent communication and interpersonal skills; Experience in Project Management preferably in WASH, health projects and lifesaving projects. Computer literate and ability to use basic operating systems; Experience working in remote and hardship areas and ability to work under pressure and stressful situations.
See Job Detail or Apply