Project Manager – Ethiopia Migration Programme
Title: Project Manager – Ethiopia Migration Programme
Location: Addis Ababa
Employment Category: F1
Reporting To: DCoP - Programmes
Direct Reports: Field Protection Coordinators, Team Leaders
Start of Contract & Duration: 9 Months
Posting date: February 10, 2020
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is leading a £21 million programme to protect would-be migrants and refugees from unsafe irregular migration through and from Ethiopia. The 4-year programme, funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID), is anticipated to be innovative, cross-sectoral and solutions-oriented with strong emphasis on research, learning and adaptive management.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The project will have two field based Project Managers based in Addis Ababa and in Shire. The Project Manager will be dedicated to the program, and and responsible for field level project management and implementation in the field location. The Project Manager will supervise all programme implementation staff, and take budgetholder responsibiliites, ensuring that all activities are planned and implemented on time and on budget. The Project Manager will also be responsible in submitting quality reports, reviewing and revising project documents, fulfilling area-level compliance and coordinating with the Programme Management Unit and field level stakeholders engaged in the project.
The Project Manager will report to the Deputy CoP for Programmes, with lines to DRC Area Managers.
- Coordinate the technical activities of the field: oversee implementation of the programme according to contract objectives, ensuring the programme meets or exceeds agreed targets, annual plans and budgeting processes for the programme with full accountability to DRC, project partners and to DFID, UK.
- Ensure that technical, financial, and operational activities, including reporting are carried out according to set guidance from PMU and DRC’s policies and procedures
- With support from the PMU, identify and effectively manage due diligence and all associated key risks related to the programme in the implementation Area
Programme and Technical Oversight
- Provide technical oversight of EMP implementation in the Area, ensuring achievement according to targets, on time, within budget, consistent with high impact quality programming and in compliance with key guidance from PMU’s technical team;
- Actively engage with MEAL teams in the field to incorporate beneficiary feedback and learning for programmatic adaptation;
- Coordinate technical inputs from the programme’s technical unit with implementers in the field to maintain a high level of program quality
- Coordinate with the Area Manager and relevant Support Services functions to support financial and operational management of the program according to DFID and DRC standards for compliance;
- Assume full responsibility over the programme team, suring team members have support and foster respectful and positive working relationships amongst eachother and with broader DRC field teams.
Experience and Technical Competencies
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience working in international humanitarian and/or development aid, preferably with displaced populations, and with at least 3 years in program management.
- Technical experience in protection, youth engagement programming;
- Robust analytical and strategic planning skills with demonstrable track record of meeting or exceeding programme targets, whilst maintaining technical quality;
- Highly diplomatic with excellent political awareness and understanding;
- High-level communications and interpersonal skills;
- A demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with governments, donors, partners, local organizations, and other stakeholders
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Experience working on DFID contracts
- Master’s degree in law, social sciences, international development, or other relevant field.
- Excellent verbal and written English.
- Knowledge of local spoken language of implementation area an added advantage.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than February 24,2020.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.
See Job Detail or Apply