Ethiopia: Project Manager Emergency Relief WASH (m/f/d), Addis Abeba / Benishangul Gumuz, Ethiopia
Closing date: 17 Feb 2020
The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC is currently seeking a Project Manager (m/w/d) responsible for an emergency relief project with a focus on WASH activities. The project will also strengthen the capacities of the Ethiopian Red Cross Society (ERCS) to respond to disasters. In cooperation with ERCS, GRC supports humanitarian aid activities for for South Sudanese and Sudanese refugees, Internally Displaced Persons and their host communities in the region Benishangul Gumuz. The Project manager will be based in Addis Abeba. Frequent long-term field visits to the project area are expected.
Duration: 01.04.2020 for 12 months (extension is possible)
Location: Addis Abeba, Ethiopia with regular field visits
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Implement the project in close cooperation with our partner ERCS
- Ensure accurate project budgeting, financial management and expenditure tracking according to GRC and donor (Ministry of Foreign Affairs, AA) requirements
- Narrative and financial reporting in compliance with GRC and MOFA policies and regulations
- Set up a monitoring and evaluation system and guarantee collection and analysis of data for indicator-based reporting and project control
- Provide technical support to ERCS staff in the field of relief and WASH
- Ensure visibility and information sharing on the project
- Security Management in close cooperation with the GRC security advisor
- Enhancing the partnership and cooperation with ERCS and liaise with other partners
- Representation of German Red Cross in stakeholder meetings and other events
- Contribute to a conducive work environment
- Minimum of 4 years of professional experience in implementation and coordination of emergency aid activities
- Strong project management skills, particularly PCM and participatory methods
- Profound experience in finance management and prudent stewardship of project budget
- Experience in managing donor funded projects (BMZ and MOFA experience will be a strong asset)
- Strong skills in networking, negotiation and advocacy
- Proven capacity in operational and structural planning of emergency relief operations, as well as mainstreaming new concepts and approaches
- Excellent communication skills, the ability to build relationships
- Experience in cooperating with local organizations/ capacity building
- Experience in training local staff and community volunteers, and provide technical support
- Oral and written fluency in English; knowledge of German would be an asset
- Readiness to work in remote areas
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles
- Ability to work effectively in multi-cultural environments
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions'
- Valid Driving Licence.
What we offer you:
You will be part of a highly motivated professional and multicultural team. We offer you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC, an expatriation allowance during your mission as well as the accommodation/personal allowance to cover your accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package GRC is covering a home flight within a 12-months period of assignment. You will benefit from a comprehensive training package and receive briefings and coaching prior as well as during and after your mission. Medical check-ups and Psychosocial Support Service are included in your assignment. This is not a family posting.
How to apply:
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HR net (https://drkhrnet.de) until 17.02.2020.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2020-015 with your application.