Ethiopia: Postdoctoral Fellow - Biometrics - Ethiopia (Internationally Recruited Staff)
Closing date: 11 Mar 2020
Reports to: Small Ruminant Senior Scientist
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Advertisement date: 12 February 2020
Closing date: 11 March 2020
(or until the position is filled)
Main purpose of position
The International Centre for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) seeks to recruit a Post-doctoral Scientist to join its Small Ruminant Genetics/Genomics team within ICARDA’s Research program “Resilient Agricultural Livelihood Systems”. Research in the group aims to use genomic analyses and bioinformatics to address broad evolutionary questions targeting Small Ruminants. The research to be undertaken will involve development of computational tools as well as analyses of large-scale genomic data sets generated by a range of platforms;
Reporting to Small Ruminant Senior Scientist, the individual appointed will provide bioinformatics support to the implementation of Small Ruminant genetics/genomics research activities being undertaken by the program. S/he should have a strong profile in bioinformatics or computational biology especially in genome analyses which is supported by a record of publications in the area as well as a demonstrated ability to work and support different bioinformatics projects. The position requires strong programming skills.
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is an international autonomous, non-profit, research organization supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR).
ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information: www.icarda.org
· Contribute to existing research projects and initiate research activities in bioinformatics related to small ruminant genetics/genomics research;
· Contribute to training and capacity building activities (such as supervision of post-graduate students, trainees, visiting scientists and partners from the national research systems (NARS));
· Ensure integration of informatics into the research and research planning process in Small Ruminant Genetics/Genomics and the Animal Genetics Flagship within the Livestock CRP;
· Establish relationship with a range of local, regional and international partners and collaborators;
· Contribute to enhancing the scientific quality of Small Ruminant Genetics/Genomics research through the incorporation of cutting-edge bioinformatics analytical approaches;
· Assist and contribute in the preparation of project proposals for funding as well as scientific manuscripts.
Education, qualifications and experience
· PhD in one or more of the following areas: Comparative Genomics, Population Genetics, Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Biostatistics or in Biological Sciences research with a strong affinity to computational genomics, bioinformatics, big data and statistics.
· One to two years of relevant experience;
· Familiarity with Linux and Unix platforms and computational pipelines;
· Experience or working knowledge in C or C++, programming or scripting languages (Python, Perl, R, Bash, Matlab, Fortran) and basic working knowledge with high performance computing clusters.
· Familiarity with approaches to data integration, interoperability, visualization and archiving;
· Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
· Excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
· Record of scientific publications;
· Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural environment as well as independently with minimal supervision.
Terms of appointment, salary and benefits
This is an internationally recruited position for which ICARDA offers an attractive compensation package including a competitive salary, housing and furniture allowance, medical insurance, 30 days of annual leave, five months’ maternity leave, 15 days’ paternity leave. The successful candidate will be offered a fixed term contract of 2 years, renewable subject to continued need for the position and satisfactory performance. The first year will be probationary period.
ICARDA is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from women.
Applications will be acknowledged, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
How to apply:
Please apply online at https://apply.workable.com/j/1C2C1D0EF5 by 11 March 2020. Applications will still be considered until the position is filled.