Environmental Health Officer
Job Title: Environmental Health Officer
Sector: Emergency Response
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Jinka, Ethiopia
The Position mainly involves undertaking rapid Environmental Health (EH) need assessments and implementing emergency WASH response. The EHO will be based in Hammer Woreda, South Omo Zone of SNNP Region and can be deployed to other emerging emergency areas (localities) throughout the country whenever need.
- Reports to Senior ERRO /ERR Manager,
- In collaboration with other team members, the EHO undertakes detail need assessments.
- Identify water supply systems to rehabilitate and maintain.
- Prepare design & detail bills of quantities, budget estimates in response to emerging emergencies through out the country and forward to supervisor for review.
- Prepares detail Environmental Health physical & financial implementation plan for emerging emergency responses.
- Source and monitor labor required towards implementation of emergency response interventions and ensure the proper implementation of the same as per set norms and standards.
- Monitor the progress and implementation of subcontracted emergency response intervention as per the contract.
- Prepare detail specification for items to be procured and ensure its procurements are as per set specifications.
- Identify and establish water trucking and water treatment sites.
- Monitor water trucking operations and water treatment systems.
- Works closely with, Zone/Woreda Water and Health Offices towards efficient and effective implementation of the response.
- Works in collaboration with IRC Hygiene Promotion Officers in promotion of safe hygiene practices in Emergency responses which includes Health Promotion activities.
- Produces activity progress reports as per the preset reporting schedule and submit to the supervisor and Emergency Rapid Response Manager.
- Prepare brief emergency related monthly updates and submit to the supervisor and copy to the supervisor and copy to Emergency Rapid Response Manager.
- Takes additional works as assigned by supervisor.
- At least 3 years of experience for first degree holder and 2 year experience for Post plus graduate holder in the field of Water resource Engineering and Hydraulics Engineering.
- Demonstrated practical experience in construction/rehabilitation of rural water supply systems especially in spring development, plumbing, construction/repair of hand dug wells, installation/repair of hand pumps is a must.
- Experience on managing the construction and maintenance of large-scale motorized schemes specifically deep boreholes has added value.
- Demonstrated experience in managing labor and material at construction site.
- Knowledge of SPHERE standard and Project Cycle management is an asset.
- Experience of engineering software’s like AutoCAD and basic computer skill has value.
- Flexible and committed to work under pressure.
- Having a demonstrated experience to work with government partners and structures is essential.
- Demonstrated experience in supervising construction works specially water supply schemes is an asset.
- Experience in NGO will be an asset.
- Experience in budget management, Ability to use computer (basic operating systems, AUTOCAD, WATCAD, EPHANET).
See Job Detail or Apply