Environmental Health Assistant
Job Title: Environmental Health Assistant
Sector: Emergency Response
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Jinka, Ethiopia
Under the direct supervision of the EH Officer the EH Assistant will be involved at site level planning, construction/rehabilitation and supervision of water supply and sanitation facilities. The position also requires proper management of skilled and unskilled labor, construction materials, equipment and other resources under the program and reporting periodically to supervisors to support disaster affected community in target area.
- Provide technical support in the WASH infrastructure development works.
- Assist EH officer in conducting rapid and detail assessment.
- Daily supervise the implementation of WASH infrastructure and capacity building works during the project period.
- Assist and monitor the formation of water user’s associations and federations according to the new proclamation of the SNNPR water bureau in collaboration with woreda and kebele partners.
- Organize capacity building trainings: especially for water user’s associations and federations and Woreda partners on Water schemes management and administration, water quality testing and operation and maintenance of water supply schemes and institutional water supply works.
- Documentation of WASH infrastructures and capacity building tools provision activities and timely report to the supervisor.
- Regularly follow up the delivery of local and industrial materials for project activities and report regular update on utilization status accordingly.
- Assist EHO, SERRO and ERRM in preparation of tender document and evaluation of bids and supervise the implementation of the work and payments approval.
- Provide technical support to ensure appropriate institutional setup is in place and capacity of beneficiary community and local government is built up to take over and sustainable management water supply and capacity building works done by the International Rescue Committee Ethiopia program Hawassa Field Office.
- Facilitation of payment of works (for labor-based projects) and assuring the quality of works and payments in comparisons to the standard payment norms agreed up on.
- Ensure the collection of relevant, reliable and accurate data through proper tools and methods in consultation with the supervisor and the SERRO.
- Organize and share quality and up-to-date construction materials delivery and utilization progress to the supervisors in two weeks interval.
- Prepare performance objective plans and reviews timely and promote high level of team sprit with the IRC field staffs.
- Provide on job operation and maintenance training to scheme care takers and ensure that they could manage small maintenance works by themselves within the project period.
- Effectively mobilize the beneficiary communities and partners in all phases of the project and ensue effective partnership at all level.
- Organize and share quality weekly updates and monthly reports that include all relevant data.
- Conduct water quality tests.
- Assist in planning and organizing needs assessments, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of WASH infrastructure activities.
- Work closely with government and non-government partners.
- Timely hand over all completed activities to partners following the IRC’s exit procedure and ensure the documentation of handing over documents with all partners including the beneficiaries and the IRC.
- Act as focal person of the ERR project EH team for the woreda and conduct regular review meetings with partners and share the update to the EH officer and the EH manager within two days of the meeting.
- Effectively coordinate with and the works of the HP assistant on hygiene promotion works and logistic arrangements at field level in consultation with his supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor and the IRC.
- At least 3 years of related work experience for Diploma Holders, and 1-year relevant experience for first degree in the field of Water supply engineering, Water Resources, Water Supply Technicians, Construction, or related field from recognized University, Collages.
- Demonstrated practical experience in construction/rehabilitation of rural water supply systems especially in spring development, plumbing, construction/repair of hand dug wells, installation/repair of hand pumps is a must.
- Experience on managing the construction and maintenance of large-scale motorized schemes specifically deep boreholes has added value.
- Demonstrated experience in managing labor and material at construction site.
- Knowledge of SPHERE standard and Project Cycle management is an asset.
- Experience of engineering software’s like AutoCAD and basic computer skill has value.
- Flexible and committed to work under pressure.
- Having a demonstrated experience to work with government partners and structures is essential.
- Demonstrated experience in supervising construction works specially water supply schemes is an asset.
- Experience in NGO will be an asset.
See Job Detail or Apply