Country Program Manager, Ethiopia
GIRL RISING SEEKS A COUNTRY PROGRAM MANAGER FOR ETHIOPIA
Designation: Country Program Manager, Ethiopia
Location: Addis Ababa
Start date: February 2020 (as soon as possible)
Application deadline: 09 February 2020
Millions of girls grow up with few role models, deprived of inspiration and feelings of possibility to become other than what is traditionally expected in most contexts, such as a wife, a mother, a homemaker. Sunsilk and Girl Rising have collaborated to change this narrative through Explore More. After successful implementation of the pilot program in Pakistan and Thailand in 2018, Explore More reached adolescent girls and boys in six countries across continents (Argentina, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thailand, Pakistan and the Philippines) in the year 2019-2020. This year, in addition to implementing the program in six countries, Explore More will be piloted in Ethiopia targeting adolescent girls and boys.
The Explore More toolkit’s creative multimedia tools and participatory curriculum encourage self-reflection and helps students identify and build a community of support. The program introduces young people to themes of aspirations, self-awareness, and possibility, all critical themes for those on the path to empowerment. Ultimately, the Explore More program is designed to help equip girls, and boys, to pursue their interests and passions and aspire to a future full of possibilities.
Girl Rising and Sunsilk
Girl Rising (GR) is a US-based nonprofit organization that uses the power of storytelling to change the way the world values and invests in girls and their education. GR tells stories about girls who face daunting barriers to their independence with determination and courage, strategically deploying these stories to fuel and strengthen social movements - informing and inspiring people to take action for girls and gender equality. GR works with local partners, adapting these stories into culturally relevant educational tools that build confidence and agency in girls and that change attitudes and social norms within their communities. More than 7,100 educators from over 130 countries have accessed the Girl Rising global curricula for use in their classrooms and hundreds more have engaged in country-specific efforts. (www.girlrising.org).
Sunsilk, a hair care brand, is one of Unilever’s Sustainable Living Brands with a mission to help open up possibilities for girls everywhere by inspiring and equipping them to explore more to their fullest potential.
Country Program Manager - Scope of Work
The country manager will identify potential partner schools and educational organizations; manage outreach to, selection and engagement with program partners; plan and conduct trainings; coordinate monitoring and evaluation related activities, and ensure effective delivery of the Explore More program through efficient financial management.
The program toolkit consists of twelve weekly sessions comprising of video content (capturing an inspiring story of courage and resilience) and activity-based discussions on the themes mentioned above.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Seven or more years of experience in curriculum development, delivery and excellent program management and partnership development skills.
- Significant experience working in country with local, regional and/or international youth-centered organizations, serving both girls and boys.
- Experience with girls’ empowerment/gender equity interventions and familiarity with a broader range of local cultural norms in Ethiopia.
- Proven success in establishing and nurturing partnerships with local like-minded organizations, educational institutions and government departments for effective and efficient delivery of program outcomes.
- Experience designing and conducting trainings for teachers in public and private school settings including, but not limited to topics related to self-esteem and self-awareness, gender, communication and decision-making skills.
- Ability to keep program on track by developing effective and realistic work plans, efficiently handle program budget/expenditure, and maintain regular follow ups with partnering organizations/schools.
- Ability to work independently (home-based), take initiatives and maintain efficient (long-distance) communication and reporting with the GR global team. The Country Manager should be well-equipped to work independently from home and travel across Addis Ababa for program implementation.
- Ability to work in both English and the local language/s.
- Experience of working with video assets as part of curriculum preferred.
Period of Performance: Eight months of full-time consultancy contract with possibility of extension; beginning as soon as possible.
Interested candidates should email a letter of interest including CV/resume to Khuzama Khan at firstname.lastname@example.org . Use email subject line: Ethiopia Program Manager
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit application materials (in English language) as soon as possible. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
See Job Detail or Apply