Ethiopia: Communications Specialist
Organization: Panagora Group
Closing date: 04 Mar 2019
Global Health Supply Chain – Procurement and Supply Management Ethiopia
Panagora Group, a woman-owned, small business providing novel and integrated solutions in global health and international development, seeks a Communications Specialist to support the project’s knowledge management and communication activities in Ethiopia.
The purpose of the Global Health Supply Chain– Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC- PSM) Ethiopia Program is to ensure uninterrupted supplies of health commodities in support of United States Government (USG)-funded public health initiatives in Ethiopia. The project provides direct procurement and supply chain management support to the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and Population and Reproductive Health. In supporting USG-funded global health activities, GHSC-PSM will develop and manage a wide array of services for health commodity procurement and related systems strengthening technical assistance encompassing different elements of a comprehensive supply chain management initiatives in collaboration with FMOH, PFSA and other partner organizations.
GHSC-PSM Ethiopia supports country strategies and priorities that fall under the following three project objectives:
- Health commodity procurement and logistics,
- Systems strengthening technical assistance, and
- Global and local collaboration to improve long-term availability of health commodities.
The Communications Specialist will report directly to the USAID GHSC-PSM Knowledge Management/M&E Director and is responsible for the implementation of the program communications strategy, internally and externally, and compliance with USAID communications requirements for GHSC-PSM in Ethiopia.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the development and implementation of the project’s communications and knowledge exchange strategy;
- Set as needed internal and external communications standards, guidelines, processes and protocols;
- Work closely with the M&E and technical teams to identify data, stories, and articles for communications materials;
- Stay informed of all major issues in the Ethiopian health sector and of GHSC-PSM strategies and methods, programs and activities, results and achievements, and on best practices, lessons learned and success stories so that project communication is rich, diverse and well grounded.
- In collaboration with Technical Director, Team Leaders, and other technical personnel, draft or edit, finalize and ensure the publication and dissemination of written materials and website content on the project, health system and needs of the Ethiopian population.
- Materials and content may include abstracts, reports, presentations, brochures, articles, press releases, speeches, briefings and update notes, blog posts, and social media content.
- Ensure compliance with all contract requirements (including branding and marking) that relate to reporting (such as the Quarterly and Annual Progress Reports) and draft program statements describing connections between implementation and results for submission to the Chemonics USAID/GHSC-PSM leadership team, FMOH, PFSA, and USAID.
- Collaborate with technical component leaders to vet reports and success story narratives.
- Manage distribution process of communications material so the right information gets to the right audiences at the right time.
- Provide support to the project leadership in maintaining effective communications with USAID, FMOH, PFSA, other partner organizations, and stakeholders, including timely response to requests for information.
- Assist the Country Director and other Directors with managing media relations.
- Provide strategic and programmatic advice on communications and knowledge exchange to project leadership to strengthen program design, work plans and implementation.
- Oversee the management of the project’s photo and video library as well as of the project’s institutional memory to ensure that information and materials are easy to access.
- Work closely with the home office on campaigns, annual reports, and other USAID/GHSC-PSM communications activities. Provide new and/or updated written material for Chemonics websites, newsletters, and social media.
- Exhibit Chemonics values and build culture of “Living our Values” within the team
- Understand and adhere to established policies and procedures and promote them throughout GHSC-PSM staff
- Carry out additional responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time by supervisor of record
- BA/Master’s degree in communications, public health, knowledge management, international development or related field.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in a similar communications role, within international development organizations.
- Experience living or working in developing and transitioning countries.
- Experience working in international public health programs strongly preferred.
- Technical experience interacting with USG (especially USAID), including three years of experience working with USG-funded organizations.
- Proven ability to organize, summarize, and rewrite technical information for non-expert audiences.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills (writing samples will be requested), facilitation and negotiating skills.
- Experience facilitating workshops and trainings in communication skills.
- Familiarity with social media.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and use good judgment.
- Proven ability to work effectively in teams in a multi-cultural context.
- Familiarity with current USAID branding guidelines.
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
Level of Effort and Location
This long-term position will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, with intermittent travel throughout the program’s target regions as needed.
The USAID GHSC-PSM Communications Specialist will report directly to the Knowledge Management/M&E Director or his/her designee.
Finalists will be contacted. Panagora Group is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices.
How to apply:
Please apply to this job through this link.