Ethiopia: Project Manager (Site Management Support (SMS))
Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 11 Feb 2019
Position Title : Project Manager (Site Management Support (SMS))
Duty Station : Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 11 February 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People's Democratic
Republic, Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Eswatini,
Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the direct supervision of the Emergency & Post-Crisis (EPC) Program Coordinator, and the overall supervision of the Head of Programs, the successful candidate will be responsible for the overall management, oversight, implementation and monitoring / reporting, of all Site Management Support (SMS) projects in Ethiopia.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Offering support and coordination to staff including capacity-building, training, and general support. Contribute to building the capacities of IOM staff in the thematic areas through a combination of formal training and on-the-job mentoring.
Act as the Mission’s focal point for Site Management; establish and maintain credible partnerships at appropriate levels with government entities, local authorities, implementing partners, UN agencies, donors, and other stakeholders as relevant to the projects and activities of the thematic areas.
Identify, develop, manage and implement new project / programmes opportunities and activities, in cooperation with the relevant authorities and public/private entities in relation to
both internal and international migration.
Ensure regular coordination with other IOM activities and complementarity and synergies among all project activities, including, but not limited to, trainings, workshops, study tours, and awareness-raising and information campaigns to achieve the overall objectives of the projects.
Serve as an expert resource in Site Management; addressing related regulation and policy concerns; and institutional capacity building. Direct and monitor the implementation of IOM's Site Management projects in Ethiopia. Supervise the related budgetary, financial and administrative needs to ensure timely implementation and reporting of the IOM projects.
Supervise the work of directly reporting staff. Monitor financial reports and expenditures of all projects under thematic areas/units in order to ensure consistent management and adequate burn rate to meet implementation milestones and deadlines.
In coordination with the Resource Management Officer, oversee the selection and recruitment of project staff; supervise and guide staff working under relevant projects and establish the necessary staffing strength and profiles relevant to the implementation of the activities in the thematic areas.
Work with Program Support Unit (PSU) to prepare and review donor and other reports before submission to the Regional Office/PRD; elaborate general and/or specific information on program activities as requested by donors/external parties, IOM Missions, the Regional Office, Headquarters and other relevant counterparts.
Develop appropriate monitoring tools to ensure effective implementation of projects and activities, including hosting of work seminars and visits to field locations as required.
Provide consistent review and competent advice to the EPC Coordinator and Head of Programs on the overall performance of the relevant projects to ensure effectiveness, coherence, and integrity, and establish strategic programmatic linkages.
Keep abreast of policies, international standards and best practices relating to the rights of migrants and in particular the protection of vulnerable IDPs for further enhancing various assistance projects, Ensure continued connection with both the Government of Ethiopia and donors for current program activities and their further development.
Participate in appropriate coordination and operational inter-agency mechanisms.
Undertake travel and perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in International Relations, Political Science, Business or Public Administration, Humanitarian Affairs, Conflict Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in camp management or coordination within an international organization;
• Experience in return and reintegration of vulnerable persons;
• Experience working with a number of staff and multi-component programmes;
• Experience working in hardship stations;
• Experience in post-conflict/emergency zones and in working in a high-risk environment, project management and administrative and financial management (previous experience with IOM Shelter Programme an advantage);
• Experience in liaising with governmental authorities and local communities, as well as national and international institutions;
• Excellent demonstrated analytical skills applied on a wide range of factors, parameters, policies and priorities for the assessment and resolution of complex situations, including technical understanding;
• Solid computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office package (Office, Excel, Power Point, Outlook), internet and Email.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of local languages in Ethiopia, French and/or
Spanish is an advantage.
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 11 February 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 29.01.2019 to 11.02.2019
Posting: Posting NC55727784 (55727784) Released