Emergency Health Officer
Job Title: Emergency Health Officer
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Jinka, Ethiopia
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees made to flee from war or disaster. IRC has been working in Ethiopia since 1999 and is implementing, community-managed programs sought at improving the quality of lives and recover of livelihood of disaster-affected population’s through promoting individual participation, strengthening institutions and emergency response. Currently, IRC is operating in the Oromia, Benishangul, Tigray, SNNPR and Somali regions on Emergency Response, refugee’s assistance and livelihood projects.
- The incumbent implements the emergency health project at Bene Tsemay district level.
- He/she coordinates the execution of the project activities as per the work plan
- He/she ensures the delivery of health care services in health centers and health posts
- She/he will work with the government partner to improve their participation and involvement in prevention, awareness creation and training of woreda based government health staffs.
- The position monitors and identifies bottlenecks to the implementation and take corrective action on daily basis.
- Take the top tier role in ensuring the continuity of primary health care in the woreda.
- Provides technical support to the facilities through continuous technical encouraging supervision.
- Make sure accurate logistics and supply management is practiced.
- Provide services in the public health facilities including health post and health center.
- Ensure early detection of epidemics and promptly respond.
- Collect, compile and analyze weekly, monthly and quarterly reports.
- Supervise and train health care providers in the government health facilities.
- Conduct all activities planned under the project in accordance with the allocated budget.
- Identify and involve all key partners on a regular basis and support woreda health office in strengthening surveillance system at facilities and community level.
- Provide support in developing and implementation of a community based communication strategy
- Work closely with staff from other sectors to ensure coordinated approach in program implementation in his/her woreda.
Prepare monthly/quarterly/annual project reports
- Provide and/or facilitate training and workshops as per the project work plan
- Perform additional responsibilities as need emerge by the supervisor.
- MPH/BSc degree in Public Health, MPH is advantageous.
- Minimum work experience of 3 years for BSc degree & 2 years for MPH degree holders.
- Experience working as clinician in the last two years.
- Experience in disease outbreak response set up is helpful.
- Basic supervisory/managerial skills with strong interpersonal skills.
- NGO experience in emergency Health and health care service delivery is preferable.
- Confirmed experience in working with communities in participatory approaches and capacity building of health centers.
- Ability to plan and monitor the implementation of emergency health response projects
- Good technical and report writing skills with digital literacy and knowledge.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Self-motivated, open minded, highly responsible, and punctual and ability to constructively address gaps and weaknesses.
- Ability to work in remote areas and understanding of the cultural context of the local area
See Job Detail or Apply